Collapse
No announcement yet.

If 154 lb'ers hit Canelo like Lopez did, Canelo's style would change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most 154lbers aren't as fast as Lopez, he is faster than Ortiz and Canelo.

However, Canelo is faster than most 154lb fighters and he would have a much tighter defence like he did against Rhodes and Mosley.

I don't think you can take much out of that fight for Canelo, we learned more about Lopez.

Anyhow, Alvarez wanted Cotto and Mayweather, then wanted Kirkland and Williams and couldn't get any of them, so let's not be too harsh.

Comment

the hate for canelo is ridiculous. im not a fan of who his opponents have been either, but no denying the dude has skills. i can actually feel his punches landing on his opponents. so much force behind his punches. ridiculous

Comment

He was getting tagged clean but I think once he realized Lopez couldn't hurt him at all he dind't really bother blocking. His combination punching is FANTASTIC though. My goodness his combos are crisp, powerful and compact. He will definitely cause Floyd some trouble.

Comment

We will have to wait and see how he will react to a guy with power. It is my personal opinion that his power is generated because of his commitment meaning, hea has to be well grounded to generate power. If another boxer establishes the pace and backs him up through the fight, I think he will have difficulties being comfortable, his power will not be there. Will he be able to adjust to that? Maybe but I don't see it in him yet.

Comment

Hopefully he moves up to 160 and gets handed a belt, maybe then we might see him defend it against 154 pounders.

Comment

i disagree the reason Canelo was willing to take so many shots is because he knew Josesito couldn't hurt him. Stop hatin on Canelo so much!!!! he did all he could to take a better fight last night, it's not his fault they all fell apart.

Comment

Canelo beats any guy at 154. The only guy that would give problems is Martinez. People act like Mosley had no power when he fought Canelo. Canelo's power, speed, and combination punching would be too much for any guy at 154.

Comment

just bcuz he realized lopez couldnt hurt him and CHOSE to walk through some shots doesnt mean he couldnt box more if he had to and still get him out of there a couple of rounds later if lopez did have the power to hurt him. he was clearly fighting in second gear for most of the fight.

i agree alvarez hasnt earned all the recognition hes got but the hate on this site is out of control. canelo is one hell of a young fighter, as much as hes been overhyped by some hes being slept on twice as hard by the ppl around here.

Comment

I think Canelos the biggest puncher at 154. If he looses its to somebody with ring generalship that can outbox him over 12 rounds. Mayweather, Martinez, and possibly Lara could pull it off. I think Cotto is a good matchup for Canelo so thats a pick em fight for me. I would favor the young Canelo because hes been protected and Cottos been through wars. I believe Cotto fades late. Kirkland and Anguelo would be KOd with in 8 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                      Lopez landed many shots in there; his problem was he didn't have enough power. All Canelo did was walk through his shots and impose his will; which is what we knew he would do from the time this fight was made.

My thing is, had that been elite 154 lb'ers landing those shots, Canelo would've either been hurt or forced to change his style and fight a more honest style instead of throwing combo's and exchanging carelessly.
                      You have a good point. The thing is that Alvarez has never fought a legitimate 154-pounder, at least not someone ranked in the top 15, and the reason for that is exactly what you said. If he fought a legitimate 154 pounder, he would get his as.s whipped. GBP could have lined up Cotto, Trout, or K-9 Bundrage for this fight after Williams accident. Instead, they looked at Kirkland, who has looked really bad in his last few fights and is easy to hit, the 147-pounder, Victor Ortiz and finally a guy who was fighting at 140 two fights ago. GBP knows as well as I do that, if Alvarez got in the ring with a legitimate, high quality 154-pounder, the outcome would be similar to the Martinez-Chavez fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X