Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I remember, the British fighters a lot of the times wouldn't come to the US.

To me, those fighters would've got stomped by Roy. US fighters are better than British fighters. I'm not biased, it's just a statistical fact. There are MANY times the amount of fighters in the US in comparison to the UK so of course there will be more top talented fighters in the US.

Almost none of the fighters listed weren't British or out of Jones' weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
      Yeah he should have fought better fighters in his prime, but he still fought some good fighters Virgill Hill went on to do some great stuff. Hopkins and Toney, Woods, Griffin etc. all went on to be good-great fighters.

But if he has guys like Benn, Eubank, Nunn, Calzaghe (in Roys prime) etc. We would have really found out how good Roy was. He was never really tested in the ring because he was so good until he was like mid 30's.

G man's career was cut short too early so I don't think he should be in the conversation.

Theres quotes on record of calzaghe saying roy was too good to fight.

Comment

Spam thread

Comment

People need to stop bigging up power.. Roy's been caught with shots throughout his career.

Roy was able to deal with a very hard style in James Toney, Hopkins has also stated he's been the best/smartest fighter he's been in with.

It's one thing to be gifted with speed, but Roy used his speed very well.

Comment

Jones wasn't making title defenses until the mid-nineties at which point most of those guys were already becoming washed up fighters. If he'd fought and beat them in his prime (mid to late nineties) you'd be complaining today that Jones cherry-picked old champs.

Comment

Roy was the first Floyd Joy.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I love all the roy haters

Comment

There are some stupid people when it comes to this topic. Roy Jones would have beat every one of those fighters in his prime, and its as much their fault as his that these fights didnt get made.

Comment

if you look at it with any sense, any one of these boxers fought only 2 or 3 max of the list themselves.

Toney
                    Collins
                    Nunn
                    Jackson
                    Mccellan
                    Hopkins
                    Benn
                    Eubank
                    Daruiz

So to pose this question means you are stupid. You are essentially asking why jones fought the same number as everyone else did. That's is a thick persons question.

This forum shouldn't entertain thick people threads.

Comment

Stupid thread.

Jackson, Eubank and McClellan were never realistic fights for Roy. Nunn was past prime and not a very big puncher at 175 when he could of fought Roy.

Comment

Working...
                      X