• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd will fight Pacquiao in 2013 - Jeff Mayweather

Floyd will fight Pacquiao in 2013 - Jeff Mayweather
    ESPN staff
    August 16, 2011

Floyd Mayweather Jnr's uncle Jeff Mayweather is predicting that the long-awaited showdown between the undefeated American and his pound-for-pound rival Manny Pacquiao will not take place for another two years.

A potentially mouthwatering clash between the two fighters has yet to be agreed, despite the growing clamour, although the bout looked to have moved a step closer in recent times after Pacquiao's camp accepted Mayweather's demands for stringent blood testing.

Pacquiao, who is attempting to sue Mayweather for defamation after the American suggested his rival has used performance-enhancing substances, is preparing to face Juan Manuel Marquez for a third time in November, while Mayweather is scheduled to meet Victor Ortiz on September 17.

With both men not getting any younger, there are growing fears the fight the sport craves most may never happen - although Jeff Mayweather is convinced the pair will get it on in 2013.

"I think he [Mayweather] will be fighting another couple of years," he told Fighthype.com. "I think that's being realistic because I think the fight that's out there will take that long to materialise."

Mayweather, who has not fought since outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010, makes his eagerly-anticipated return to the ring against Ortiz, who has only lost twice in 33 fights, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Ortiz won his WBC welterweight belt with a unanimous decision against Andre Berto in April, despite being knocked down twice, but Jeff Mayweather believes his nephew will take the 24-year-old "to school".

"I think Victor Ortiz is a beast, but I think Victor Ortiz is going to be taken to school like he's never been taken to school before in his life," he said. "I mean, Floyd has already fought Victor Ortiz. He fought him when he fought Ricky Hatton, and Ricky was a better version of Ortiz. I think that Ortiz is a guy who is caught up in the fact that he's coming off of his biggest win, and of course he's riding the wave, but the reality of it is this, Victor Ortiz has never faced anyone who is remotely close to having Floyd's ability.

"He's going to be taken to school, drowned in the deep water and get himself knocked out. He's too smart for him; he can stand right in front of Victor Ortiz and do whatever he wants to do to him."

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/106177.html

More waiting time?

where did jeff mayweather say that the fight will happen in 2013?

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content10526.html
    Last edited by MrRolltide91; 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I don't even know why people go to Jeff Mayweather for information anymore to be honest. Roger and Floyd Sr might be idiots in the **** they say, but I'm not sure Jeff has been right once in his predicitions with Floyd Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
        Originally posted by Lady Fan View Post

With both men not getting any younger, there are growing fears the fight the sport craves most may never happen - although Jeff Mayweather is convinced the pair will get it on in 2013.

Comment

Yet more fule for the pac fans to use saying fmj is ducking pac

Comment

I see where this article is coming. Why bother with Pacquiao, when Floyd can fight Khan right before the Olympics in London, and cash in a truckload of cash from all the pre-olympic hype?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
              http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content10526.html

this is the same interview

Comment

F*** them both if it doesn't happen next year.

Comment

breaking news! fight will happen in 2020!

Comment

Fight won't NEVER happen if it doesn't happen next year.

Comment

Working...
                    X