southpaw or orthodox?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elveiel
    I advise young fighters to do it.

How can being able to switch be a disadvantage??

just because marv was the only great fighter to do it often doesnt mean ****. alot of old coaches advise against, so fighters dont do it(that will change).

My new coach told me not to switch, he didnt like me switching on the bag, shadow boxing etc when i first went to a new club. I showed him it in action and i give his best heavys hell. He loves the fact i switch hit now.

Lots of pro's can and do switch hit, Junior Witter, Naz, Cotto etc the list does on.

If switch hitting doesnt work for you then fine but it give me a great advantage.

I totally agree, I dont see why someone would be against it...It makes you more complex and most boxers are simple minded....Hitting someone with an orthodox jab and then switching and giving a southpaw hook would confuse the hell out of a lot of people.....

Cotto switches nicely, with no flaws in defense which is pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by spinksjinx
      I totally agree, I dont see why someone would be against it...It makes you more complex and most boxers are simple minded....Hitting someone with an orthodox jab and then switching and giving a southpaw hook would confuse the hell out of a lot of people.....

Cotto switches nicely, with no flaws in defense which is pretty damn good.
      Yeah, when you start sparring its advisable to limit switching to the outside only, if you switch on the inside wrong theres a chance of getting caught. its never happend to me but i was always aware of the danger.

I find switching helps a lot, i have power in both hands but its different types of power. My right is a quick KO power and my left is hurtful strength. so i normally start the round in orthadox, lands some heavy jabs and left hooks and as soon as i see a opening or they back up i cant stop switch hitting! As soon as they back up, being able to switch lets you cut the corners off quicker and you can get every shot off with power.

The best thing is most boxers learn to defend against a orthadoz fighter, they struggle with southpaws so imagine how bad they struggle if you switch hit!

Comment

Originally posted by elveiel
        Yeah, when you start sparring its advisable to limit switching to the outside only, if you switch on the inside wrong theres a chance of getting caught. its never happend to me but i was always aware of the danger.

I find switching helps a lot, i have power in both hands but its different types of power. My right is a quick KO power and my left is hurtful strength. so i normally start the round in orthadox, lands some heavy jabs and left hooks and as soon as i see a opening or they back up i cant stop switch hitting! As soon as they back up, being able to switch lets you cut the corners off quicker and you can get every shot off with power.

The best thing is most boxers learn to defend against a orthadoz fighter, they struggle with southpaws so imagine how bad they struggle if you switch hit!

Ohh yeah switching while inside would be an amateurish move....When switching it is best to keep moving and back up and then come forward w/ the switch......

Comment

Originally posted by spinksjinx
          Ohh yeah switching while inside would be an amateurish move....When switching it is best to keep moving and back up and then come forward w/ the switch......
          You can switch all you want at the right time, i switch on the inside if there body langauge suggests i can.

Me and my coach were working switching whilst backing up like you said but i dont normally back up even if it is to switch, i notice Junior Witter doing that a lot. I normally stick a jab on them to give me enough room to switch. i do back out to give myself a small break a lot, sometimes a little walk around the ring helps.

Comment

spinx im like you,i do everything with my right except for writing,i do that with left...i think it gives a good advantage and im also practising effective switch hitting.
            eleviel whats your amateur fight record if you have one?

Comment

Originally posted by chilly9876
              spinx im like you,i do everything with my right except for writing,i do that with left...i think it gives a good advantage and im also practising effective switch hitting.
              eleviel whats your amateur fight record if you have one?
              I quit a while ago but i'm certain its 17-0(15).

I quit bouts about 3 years ago because i beat on some thugs who attacked me, courts would have used it against me so my solicitor advised me to quit. I do a lot of sparring now and i'm probably gonna get my license/insurance back so i can start again.

Comment

Working...
              X