Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Sonny Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liston in 6,i give Dempsey little chance,and im unsure as too how anybody could favour him over a prime Liston

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
      Liston in 6,i give Dempsey little chance,and im unsure as too how anybody could favour him over a prime Liston
      I just think Dempsey was a greater ATG...... I have reservations about this match-up.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        About as much as the size difference I think..... Massive may be a bit too massive, with Jack his hand speed and foot speed was about the same, and Jack had very good head movement.

Floyd Patterson had crazy hand speed, great foot speed, and good upper body movement as well. The only think Dempsey had that Patterson lacked is a chin; Dempsey's chin is the only reason that Dempsey sees the 3rd or 4th round against Sonny.

Liston's speed is also critically underrated on this forum. He wasn't lightning, but he was certainly faster than our current heavyweight champions.

Comment

Coming straight at Liston was not the way to beat Liston...terrible style matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
            Coming straight at Liston was not the way to beat Liston...terrible style matchup.
            It certainly isn't the best tactic walking into Liston's jab, I think a prime Demsey had very good head movement and was very quick, and he was NOT easy to hit.... The Dempsey we see against Tunney is an imposter.

Comment

Big Dempsey fan, but I can't see him beating Liston. Although Jack used to eat up big slow guys in the past, Liston was in another league to those fellas. That jab, reach and power will present a danger zone that Dempsey will have to pass to land his own hooks. And being perhaps one of the most aggressive fighters in the sport, he would keep trying to close and fight with Sonny.
              Both guys have tough chins, so it's not going to be an easy fight for anyone. I just feel Dempsey will get hit more and the shots will start adding up until he can't take anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                The Dempsey we see against Tunney is an imposter.
                As was the Liston we saw against Clay/Ali.

Even the Liston who crushed Patterson was a step slower than the version from the Machen fight.

I just can't envision Dempsey being able to avoid getting tagged by Liston. Dempsey had a great chin, but he never faced anyone who punched as well as Liston.

Comment

Working...
                X