No announcement yet.

I cant get over the damn fear of getting hit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant get over the damn fear of getting hit

ive been boxing on and off for about 7 years now. have 6 fights. just recently started sparring 2x a week AT LEAST and still cant get over being tentative to throw because im scared i will get hit. honestly, i have a good shell defense so i dont get hit too often, and i land accurately alot, its jut i feel i dont throw enough. i dont know what to ask except, how the hell do i get rid of this fear???

I do not see any problem, nobody sane likes to get hit. You would definitely have a problem IF you liked getting hit. I guess boxing is like Italian soccer: better play from the defense than offence.

Comment

Yeah but if he's taking it to Audley Harrison levels he's got a problem......

It sounds to me that you are not confident in your ability, i think that's the root of this problem.

Comment

What exactly are you afraid of?

Comment

How recently have you started sparring? - Its natural to have a little apprehension to getting hit, but you need to be in control of that fear. This one kid I was brought in to take a look at, had amazing natural talent. Good offense, good defense, good footwork and takedown defense, and a fairly good ground game. (i assisted a MMA gym).

But if you got inside his gap and applied pressure, he'd wilt, lose all heart, and just mentally quit and either throw illegal blows or just cover up and wait for someone to stop it. He feared getting trapped against the fence and getting beat on.

It took a lot of soul searching, and talking with the kid, to start making improvements. What we eventually found that worked was giving him tools to use when he's in that fear zone. And letting him know that everyone has that fear, but its better to be the guy that fights through it than the guy that just lays down and hopes for mercy.

My suggestion is to have a mental gameplan for when you get hit, figure out why you're scared and work to not so much avoid the fear, but to not allow that fear to control your actions in the ring...

or as I've seen Ray say in the past . . . "bowling is a fun game"

Comment

I had the same problem as you, not so much fear of pain, but the fear of getting hit, or making a mistake.

The problem is your state of mind. Learn to EMBRACE getting hit, and understand that this is boxing, you WILL get hit, get bloody noses, get your wind knocked out, etc. its all part of the process. Everyone has gone through the trials and tribulations of getting beat up in the ring. Focus while you're in there, dont worry about the people watching you, dont be afraid to get hit, we all go through it. Its like learning stick shift, you are going to stall out, you are gonna ride the clutch, but its part of the process.

Ive gotten dropped several times, but we were going all out, not pulling any punches. One time it too, about 30 seconds for me to get off my knee, but i was more pissed off and continued sparring because i wanted to even it up.

Just go into sparring with a mentality of a brawler even if youre a slickster/ counterpuncher. Get your mind right and say **** it, what do i gotta lose.

Comment

Whatever a shell defense is kick that **** to the curb and keep your hands up and learn to step with or ahead of your opponent.

Comment

thanks for all the replies. its weird. sometimes my mentality will be on to where i feel in the zone and dont really care, but then theres still other times to where im shy to throw. guess it just takes more sparring to get over it

Comment

Go spar with some heavy-hitters, and just fight them. Don't box

Comment

I kinda had your problem dude.

I would be very gun shy and very wary of straight right hands. I would seldom unleash combos.

I had some sort of fear that i couldnt put my finger on. I just didnt want to get hit.

This had me not engaging much or ever going to the body with a left hook to the body ( fear of getting hit with a right hand ). I would stick to straight shots, jabs to the body, etc.

I became very slippy. It kinda helped in a way.

But....

like you said your self...i wanted to throw more, engage more. I still liked my style of evading shots and getting into better positions but i wanted to throw more.

I found my problem.

It dated back to autmun 2008.

Very new to the fight game. Some dumb ass trainer put me in the ring with a kid who was around 180lbs at least and i weighed at most 140lbs-145lbs , at most.

I didnt have a head guard on then.

Anyway, it was the very first time i sparred and didnt have a clue what i was doing nor was there any supervision.

All i remember was getting clocked with what must have been a savage right hand. I stumbled to my right but i remained on my feet. I heard bells and a ringing noise in my head. My jaw hurt for a week.

I never knew that experience affected me so much. The boxing gym i am at now is a million times better at training boxing. Light years ahead. I am so glad i joined this gym. Very proffesional and humble guys and its hard to find such people when looking for gyms and trainers.

Anyway, i realised this experience caused me trauma. I embraced it and overcame it.

Although i am still cautious when i fight , i let my hands go a whole lot more now and i am even more slippery as i try to use head movement to get in and land shots.

Just thought id write that to help u.

peace

Comment

Working...
                    X