Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does cold weather, or running in the cold affect your breathing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does cold weather, or running in the cold affect your breathing?

I just ran my usual run, except my breathing was really bad. When I run, which I have been for about 3 months, I have full control of my breathing from start to finish. Deep breath through the nose, slowly out the mouth, repetitively throughout the whole run. Today, in the cold rain, I completely lost my breath after about half my run, i couldn't breathe. I still ran the whole thing, but I felt really bad and ran much slower than usual. Anyone might know if cold weather affects the lungs and your breathing?

Originally posted by Hitman18 View Post
    I just ran my usual run, except my breathing was really bad. When I run, which I have been for about 3 months, I have full control of my breathing from start to finish. Deep breath through the nose, slowly out the mouth, repetitively throughout the whole run. Today, in the cold rain, I completely lost my breath after about half my run, i couldn't breathe. I still ran the whole thing, but I felt really bad and ran much slower than usual. Anyone might know if cold weather affects the lungs and your breathing?
    Yes it does, back when I was playing football, which is soccer to you Yanks, I would play in the kind of weather you get just after snow... like where you breath and you can see the smoke coming from people's mouths. It became so cold that the air you are breathing out is like condensing or something.

So when I was playing it musta been close to 0 centigrade and I found I was getting very tired a lot quicker. I think it has something to do with the fact the air is a lot more dense when it is cold, as I learnt in geography.

Comment

Yes, it can cause cold-induced asthma. You need to warm up real well, and not overdo it.....

Comment

I find that when the air is cold it hurts my throat, so I tend to breath shallower.

Comment

Sometimes when I play sports in the cold, the cold air seems to screw with my breathing, and my throat hurts, completely destroys my stamina. Very annoying, so I'd say definetly yes.

Comment

Working...
          X