Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you boxed before? How did you do? What was your style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spar in the gym once in awhile. I don't like getting hit, at all, so I try to box like Floyd Mayweather. I stick and move, I keep a high guard, I'm a decent counter puncher but I haven't mastered the shoulder roll. I workout 3-4 times a week and include a combination of weight training, conditioning and technique. It's a hobby for me and I'm always trying to improve my technique, speed and endurance so that when I spar, I look half way decent and don't get my head punched in.

Comment

Originally posted by ab4life View Post
      That's really the crazy thing about boxing....so many factors go into being good at it. I had good speed/ power with no stamina and lost to fighters with average speed/ power but great stamina/ heart. In your case you had power/ speed but lacked in footwork/ coordination. Challenging sport
      Yer its mad how good even a decent past prime fighters could **** up your local "hardnut" with out too much bother, same with top 10 contenders or domestic level the level of conditioning and fundamentals still surpass enthusiasts,thugs or "guys who just spar".

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        I spar in the gym once in awhile. I don't like getting hit, at all, so I try to box like Floyd Mayweather. I stick and move, I keep a high guard, I'm a decent counter puncher but I haven't mastered the shoulder roll. I workout 3-4 times a week and include a combination of weight training, conditioning and technique. It's a hobby for me and I'm always trying to improve my technique, speed and endurance so that when I spar, I look half way decent and don't get my head punched in.
        You plan on doing any fighting in the future?

Comment

You still active?
          I am yep, just had a fight last month (lost) and I got another coming up on the 21st, and then again 3 weeks later if I want to, which I probly will.

I cant stay out of the ring...

Comment

I kick boxed and did really well until I ran into a 6'5" 230ish lbs black southpaw who was so heavy handed even blocking his punches was devastating. Not having much experience especially against southpaws I eventually walked into a good left and was out on my feet. I knew I wasn't cut out for that high a weight class and getting ktfo is not fun.

My style? I would fight almost out of a high guard exclusively and throw way more jabs than I should. Everything is in my right hand I got nothing with my left. If the opponent is locking up I'll punch myself out banging away at their guard.

I had fun, but I could tell my potential was limited.

Comment

Rockin' (aka PessimisticPug aka Pitbullpower) was a boxer. He finished with a 4-3 record.

I can't knock him. He had a go at least. However, he's fodder for others on this site.

Comment

You plan on doing any fighting in the future?
                Yes, I hope to do a "smoker bout." It's basically a glorified sparring session with referee and in front of 100 or so spectators. I did one earlier this year and was happy with my performance but there's a boat load of room for improvement.

Comment

I fought like Naseem Hamed.

Comment

I float like a butterfly and sting like bee.

Just playing. Trained in Delgado's Gym here in Denver, where Mike Alvarado currently trains, and also trained a bit in Ron Lyle's Gym in Northeast Denver, but never made anything of it or anything.
                    Last edited by 4Corners; 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
                      I fought like Naseem Hamed.
                      No you didn't, you were prob more like Enzo Mac...

Comment

Working...
                      X