No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Reliving Las Vegas: Canelo, Weeks got it right at MGM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Reliving Las Vegas: Canelo, Weeks got it right at MGM

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Saul Alvarez did the one thing guaranteed to make a fighter look good in Las Vegas.

He didn’t fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Rather than growing exasperated as his jabs, crosses and hooks caught nothing beyond shoulders, forearms and conditioned desert air, the Mexican heartthrob found himself a Saturday night workout partner only too happy to sacrifice chin, ribs and liver to advance the “Canelo” war machine.

Toward that end, Alfredo Angulo certainly earned his 850 grand.

At that rate, in fact, each of the 295 shots Alvarez landed over 27 minutes and 47 seconds of in-ring exercise was worth about $2,881.36 to the “El Perro” bank account, a figure that should keep him awash in the finest jewel-encrusted dog collars this side of Sylvester Stallone in Rocky II. [Click Here To Read More]

I agree with the article. Weeks got it right, even if... at the time.. it seemed unexpected and premature.

El Perro never really showed up on fight night, he was sooo slow, like his feet were stuck in a river of jam and he throwing arm punches with none of the conviction he is known for. Add that to the terrible advice from Hunter ("your offense is your defense" - WTF, that's like saying use your face to block his punches!).

His rally in R8 only seemed to energize Canelo and he was getting hit flush with ginger bombs all night long.

El Perro is a nice guy, a fan pleaser, does anyone really want to see him take irreparable damage? I don't. I hope he's now financially secure and can rethink his boxing career or even hang 'em up if he feels he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
      I agree with the article. Weeks got it right, even if... at the time.. it seemed unexpected and premature.

El Perro never really showed up on fight night, he was sooo slow, like his feet were stuck in a river of jam and . throwing arm punches with none of the conviction he is known for. Add that toe terrible advice from Hunter ("your offense is your defense" - WTF, that's like saying use your face to block his punches!).
      I totally agree with this article and you pinpointed something keen bro. Virgil's advice contradicts his coaching with Andre Ward. I cant believe he wouldnt train Angulo to move his head. holy crap it was so easy for Canelo to land anything he wanted. I would like to see Canelo fight Lara to see if he could land like that on Lara

Comment

Espinoza said that Alvarez making 154 is no problem, yet he paid Angulo $100k to raise the limit to 155! He wasn't supposed to weigh more than 168 on fight night, but he weighed 174 on Showtime's scale. http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...tko-10th-round. Canelo is a big boy. He wants a rematch with Mayweather, but he'll never make a weight where he can both maintain his peak power and satisfy Floyd's requirement to not be too heavy. Espinoza also said a rematch with Mayweather @ 160 could be seen as a chance for Canelo to even the score. That will never happen. Mayweather had trouble reaching more than 150 in his last fight. He fought Alvarez with a 152 lb catch weight, which drainded Canelo. Alvarez won't likely subject himself to that again, and Floyd won't likely fight him at a heavier weight where he gains a strength advantage. Besides all that, with Mayweather it's usually one and done. The only rematch he ever had was with Jose Louis Castillo.
        Last edited by SUBZER0ED; 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

As soon as the fight was stopped I was relieved. I wouldn't want to see one of my fighters take that amount of punishment and Angulo wasn't fighting back.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
            Espinoza said that Alvarez making 154 is no problem, yet he paid Angulo $100k to raise the limit to 155! He wasn't supposed to weigh more than 168 on fight night, but he weighed 174 on Showtime's scale. http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...tko-10th-round. Canelo is a big boy. He wants a rematch with Mayweather, but he'll never make a weight where he can both maintain his peak power and satisfy Floyd's requirement to not be too heavy. Espinoza also said a rematch with Mayweather @ 160 could be seen as a chance for Canelo to even the score. That will never happen. Mayweather had trouble reaching more than 150in his last fight. He fought Alvarez with a 152 lb catch weight, which drainded Canelo. Alvarez won't likely subject himself to that again, and Floyd won't likely fight him at a heavier weight where he gains a strength advantage. Besides all that, with Mayweather it's usually one and done. The only rematch he ever had was with Castillo.
            I think they got it wrong. I remember having conversation with my dad about how Angulo was 174 and Canelo was 170. Conversation fuzzy but i remember it the other way around

Comment

That fight could've been stopped sooner. Weeks was 100% in the right to stop it.

Comment

With time, the stoppage will be seen as merciful and warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                  I think they got it wrong. I remember having conversation with my dad about how Angulo was 174 and Canelo was 170. Conversation fuzzy but i remember it the other way around
                  Funny, Iv'e seen it reported both ways too. I'll check out the replay and see if they mention it on Showtime. My point is, Alvarez is just too big to fight Mayweather at a weight that makes both men comfortable.

Comment

He earned it.

Comment

Working...
                    X