No announcement yet.

Post run recovery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post run recovery

Curious in knowing/learning from other people's post run recovery routines. I'm sure some of you have great common sense ideas for recovery as far as nutrition/supplements/stretching and anythig physical is concerned. I myself take one baby dosage ibuprofen (have bad knees, brings down any swelling or pain) and have myself a protein shake, since I'm interested in making weight for fights I'm not too concerned about carbs after my runs but I'm sure that's not ideal. Any advice from any advanced runners for post run routines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Block amino's would be great for recovery!

Comment

after 3 miles, just stretching, a big glass of water, sometimes couple sets of pushups and situps, and a shower.

Comment

My post run routine is always a pint of water and something to replace lost salts/electrolytes (like a banana or smooth peanut butter on a piece of brown grannary bread, I'd even recommend a Snicker bar or a Boost bar....though rare for me). If I dont do this fairly soon after, I tend to get a dull headache.....the body needs it's fuel!

After really long runs, I'd tend to need to drink more watery drinks after the initial pint, perhaps an hour or so later. You can tell the state of your hydration by the colour of your urine..........sexy hey? But you want it straw coloured!

One thing I would watch is Lucozade, it is quite fortified with B vitamins which do tend to make your urine darker. I find it hard to gauge the state of my hydration post run when/if I use this.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, as far as the b vitamins making your urine darker I definitely ran int that problem before and can relate. To combat dehydration I've started running with a very slim camelpak and take sips when I feel it's needed. This has definitely helped me run faster, further and longer; anyone else run with a camelpak? It's one of my greatest training tools. Mine is so slim and form fitting to my back yet it fills about 1.5 liters which I also use to train at the gym 2 days out of the week. It does not fly around or anything. I only take it off when I've got to do ab work such as situps and crunches.

Comment

Originally posted by -J- View Post
            Thanks for the advice guys, as far as the b vitamins making your urine darker I definitely ran int that problem before and can relate. To combat dehydration I've started running with a very slim camelpak and take sips when I feel it's needed. This has definitely helped me run faster, further and longer; anyone else run with a camelpak? It's one of my greatest training tools. Mine is so slim and form fitting to my back yet it fills about 1.5 liters which I also use to train at the gym 2 days out of the week. It does not fly around or anything. I only take it off when I've got to do ab work such as situps and crunches.

That camel pack sounds superb. I've been known to place drinks in strategic locations the night before a long race to coincide with me getting dehydrated! The last few miles of a half marathon really benefit from a glucose injection.

What make is your camel pack, I might invest in one of those? Cheers

Comment

First one I got my hands on was Northface, it's my favorite one except for the fact the bag on the inside would leak from the top where you would pour the water in. The second one I got was from an army-navy store with the actual brand being CamelBak. I liked it but found the northface one I had more form fitting so I switched the water bladders and continued using the northface pack. CamelBak is better than the northface though, it's just overall better since they were the originators I believe. It's a great tool, I swear by it. Hope this helps.
              Last edited by {Pito}; 11-02-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -J- View Post
                First one I got my hands on was Northface, it's my favorite one except for the fact the bag on the inside would leak from the top where you would pour the water in. The second one I got was from an army-navy store with the actual brand being CamelBak. I liked it but found the northface one I had more form fitting so I switched the water bladders and continued using the northface pack. CamelBak is better than the northface though, it's just overall better since they were the originators I believe. It's a great tool, I swear by it. Hope this helps.
                Thanks bud!

Comment

Working...
                X