Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou Dibella gives Dana White a big thumbs up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
    Good post. Dibella is absolutely right.

No, the long term he's refering to is investment in bringing new fans to the sport, as well as keeping old fans around by having better all around cards.

He's refering to the fact that most promoters, for the most part, are only thinking about the immediate financial benefits, rather than sacrificing a little 'now money' to invest in the future of the sport like the UFC does with its FREE network television cards, and PPV cards that are filled with quality fighters.
    The thing is UFC is one whole brand. They own "all" the fighter, the top fighter which make or break a ppv card. So thats really not a fair comparson.

And because Ufc pays there fighter less then boxers, they can get away with less pay from the free tv networks. Where as a boxer gets paid more, so you have to chard the networks a little bit more.

For all the money Ufc rakes in, its fighters get paid way less then boxers do. Maybe boxing is more profitable then the Ufc? I don't know.

Comment

Boxing better be real carefull. With the increasing popularity of UFC, i wont be surprised if HBO and Showtime reached out to Dana to offer him a network deal. Which in return, would leave boxing will even less airtime. Remember folks, at the end of the day, its all a business, and if the big networks see a potential profit in UFC, they will go after it.

Check out the numbers.

1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

Comment

Originally posted by deevel79 View Post
        Exactly. Problem is, many diehard boxing fans are in denial about the demise of our sport. Yet it is us and only us who can force the higher ups to change thier ways.
        Ok. But when is the last time that you can say you went to a live boxing show?

Its not just watching it on tv, its about showing up and showing your support for the sport. Following the young prospects, seeing the old journymen fight, going to a live show.

Teddy Brenner said, the tv killed the local boxing shows in New York. And that can be why maybe we dont' see as many little boxing shows because the fans don't show up.

Sure they can make the under card better. But, are you going to also show up at the small time boxing shows? Where the under card ppv fighters were learning there profession?

Comment

Boxing better be real carefull. With the increasing popularity of UFC, i wont be surprised if HBO and Showtime reached out to Dana to offer him a network deal. Which in return, would leave boxing will even less airtime. Remember folks, at the end of the day, its all a business, and if the big networks see a potential profit in UFC, they will go after it.

Check out the numbers.

1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000
          LMFAO! Ok, i'am done with this thread. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
            LMFAO! Ok, i'am done with this thread. Peace.
            Why do u feel that what i said is so far fetched? Showtime gave EliteXC a deal prior to them going under, and they were a much smaller organization than UFC. UFC has been putting up some pretty good ppv numbers.

Comment

Ok. But when is the last time that you can say you went to a live boxing show?

Its not just watching it on tv, its about showing up and showing your support for the sport. Following the young prospects, seeing the old journymen fight, going to a live show.

Teddy Brenner said, the tv killed the local boxing shows in New York. And that can be why maybe we dont' see as many little boxing shows because the fans don't show up.

Sure they can make the under card better. But, are you going to also show up at the small time boxing shows? Where the under card ppv fighters were learning there profession?

Its not about what we as fan can or should do for the sport. We're the paying customer! Its about what they SHOULD be doing for us! If Dana can cater to his UFC fans, and make them happy, why cant boxing do that for us?

Comment

Its not about what we as fan can or should do for the sport. We're the paying customer! Its about what they SHOULD be doing for us! If Dana can cater to his UFC fans, and make them happy, why cant boxing do that for us?
                Boxing does cater to us. I wish i could go to the every single boxing live show in or around my Country but i can't. Do you have intentions to see live boxing not just on tv?

Its these small boxing shows that make the superstar you pay to see on tv. But without these small boxing shows being supported by us, the boxing fans. There would be less and less shows, meaning less fighters get to fight and practice there talent. All together less fighters. In all short if no one supports the live boxing shows, the small and big time boxing shows the sport can die.

Ufc, i've read get a good showing of boxin fans that go to there shows on and off the air. And off air shows are big show and not small shows cause the people show supports.

You want boxing to be better, support you're local shows. They are catering to you. What do you want to alway see your favorite boxer fight and only him? Then i'd ask, are you a boxing fan?

-----------

And i said what i said in my last post, cause cbs cancelled its show couse elite went bankrupt and i belive that includes the showtimes elte. And hbo tried working out a deal with White but White made it difficult to make the deal, in other words probably wanted too much money then hbo was willing to give them.

Comment

Boxing does cater to us. I wish i could go to the every single boxing live show in or around my Country but i can't. Do you have intentions to see live boxing not just on tv?

Its these small boxing shows that make the superstar you pay to see on tv. But without these small boxing shows being supported by us, the boxing fans. There would be less and less shows, meaning less fighters get to fight and practice there talent. All together less fighters. In all short if no one supports the live boxing shows, the small and big time boxing shows the sport can die.

Ufc, i've read get a good showing of boxin fans that go to there shows on and off the air. And off air shows are big show and not small shows cause the people show supports.

You want boxing to be better, support you're local shows. They are catering to you. What do you want to alway see your favorite boxer fight and only him? Then i'd ask, are you a boxing fan?

-----------

And i said what i said in my last post, cause cbs cancelled its show couse elite went bankrupt and i belive that includes the showtimes elte. And hbo tried working out a deal with White but White made it difficult to make the deal, in other words probably wanted too much money then hbo was willing to give them.

Well they can start by giving us at least DECENT undercards for the ppv's we purchase! The undercard fights for the Pac/Oscar ppv were embarrasing at best.

Saying that we should attend local shows to support boxing, is like saying that Baseball fans should attend and show support to minor league and triple A teams, so that Major League Baseball can improve.

Comment

So thats really not a fair comparson.

And because Ufc pays there fighter less then boxers, they can get away with less pay from the free tv networks. Where as a boxer gets paid more, so you have to chard the networks a little bit more.

For all the money Ufc rakes in, its fighters get paid way less then boxers do. Maybe boxing is more profitable then the Ufc? I don't know.
                    Although I do agree, the two can't be directly compared.

What can be though, is the simple fact that the UFC invests most of its profits right back into the business.

I wouldn't call it 'getting away with paying less' because you can't really expect MMA fighters to get paid as much as top tier boxers.

Plus, there aren't many options for these fighters, expecially not any on the elite level of the UFC,and although its unfortunate, theres not really much that can be done.

Another side note, as far as boxing PPVs go.

When fights end early on UFC PPV undercards, they fill the time not by having Joe Rogan babble for 45 minutes, but they actually air the fights that took place before the televised card took place, to fill the time.

Seems like a simple idea, but it really makes their customers feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
                      Although I do agree, the two can't be directly compared.

What can be though, is the simple fact that the UFC invests most of its profits right back into the business.

I wouldn't call it 'getting away with paying less' because you can't really expect MMA fighters to get paid as much as top tier boxers.

Plus, there aren't many options for these fighters, expecially not any on the elite level of the UFC,and although its unfortunate, theres not really much that can be done.

Another side note, as far as boxing PPVs go.

When fights end early on UFC PPV undercards, they fill the time not by having Joe Rogan babble for 45 minutes, but they actually air the fights that took place before the televised card took place, to fill the time.

Seems like a simple idea, but it really makes their customers feel like they're getting their money's worth

Yeah, i noticed that during UFC 92. Great idea. I dont mind the HBO cast, but in dont wanna hear them blab on for 30 minutes in between fights whenever a fight finishes faster than expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X