No announcement yet.

Dana White: UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division "like, really soon"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White: UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division "like, really soon"

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – The UFC's fighters will be getting even smaller.

UFC president Dana White today confirmed that the organization is moving forward on its plan to add a 125-pound flyweight division to its existing seven weight classes.

White said it could come "like, really soon," possibly by year's end.

White and other officials have hinted at the weight class over the past few years, first with the since-folded WEC and then with the UFC. Talk of the division really heated up in 2010, when the UFC adopted the WEC's featherweight (145-pound) and bantamweight (135-pound) divisions, but fizzled until recently.

While the organization already has been talking to flyweight fighters about contracts, White said it'll take time to truly build the division and crown a champion.

"We have to get out there; we have to create the division," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at today's pre-UFC 131 press conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. "We bring the guys in, sign them and start putting on fights. You figure out who the best is, and you have a title fight."

In fact, while the executive traditionally shies away from tournaments, he said a grand-prix format could be used to determine the UFC's first-ever flyweight champion.

"Maybe," he said. "There's a lot of options we could do."

Currently, a host of Japanese organizations and the California-based Tachi Palace Fights have had a stronghold on the world's top 125-pounders. But with the UFC offering unrivaled paydays and exposure, many of those fighters certainly could be wooed to the octagon.

Additionally, some of the sport's top flyweights could come from the existing UFC roster. While they've discussed their satisfaction with fighting at bantamweight, smaller 135-pounders such as Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson could make for intriguing options for the new weight class.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/23944/dana...eally-soon.mma

I knew this move was inevitable, but I'm surprised it will happen sooner rather than later.

It gives smaller Bantams a new home, but not sure how deep this division will be, at least early on.

Comment

It'll probably be just like boxing where it's unpopular as **** unless they go guns a blazin'.

Sadly they'd be as big as Gamboa & Lopez. Who are still exciting as ****. But just the title of Flyweight makes you not really give a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
        It'll probably be just like boxing where it's unpopular as **** unless they go guns a blazin'.

Sadly they'd be as big as Gamboa & Lopez. Who are still exciting as ****. But just the title of Flyweight makes you not really give a ****.
        I have a hard time seeing 125ers main eventing PPVs, at least at the moment. Who knows what will happen? There could be some little dude out there with a very exciting style and tons of charisma who can sell.

Imagine a MMA version of Naseem Hamed.

Cruz vs. Faber is only 10 pounds higher, and that's definitely PPV main event worthy.

I can't even name any 125 pounders now, but time will tell how big (no pun intended) the division will get.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
          I have a hard time seeing 125ers main eventing PPVs, at least at the moment. Who knows what will happen? There could be some little dude out there with a very exciting style and tons of charisma who can sell.

Imagine a MMA version of Naseem Hamed.

Cruz vs. Faber is only 10 pounds higher, and that's definitely PPV main event worthy.

I can't even name any 125 pounders now, but time will tell how big (no pun intended) the division will get.
          Maybe that dude that beat Torres after Torres got knocked the **** out by Bowes. Joeph Benevitez or whatever his last name is. Even the dude Torres just got robbed against to looks really really small. And that dude who gave Macdonald a helluva fight recently, he's tiny as *****.

I guess their's some potential. Just flyweight is a very unattractive name. Who can even name a flyweight boxeR? LMAO

Comment

Working...
          X