No announcement yet.

Mike Jones: "I'd keep Pacquiao at the end of everything and I'd KO Berto"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Jones: "I'd keep Pacquiao at the end of everything and I'd KO Berto"

As unbeaten Mike Jones, of Philadelphia, PA, who is 21-0, 17 K0s, and ranked as high as No. 2 welterweight in the world by the WBO behind champion Manny Pacquiao, prepares to defend his NABA and NABO titles against Puerto Rico’s Irving Garcia (17-4-3, 8 KOs) on July 9 at Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall, he has had his best-ever training camp.

MIKE JONES COMMENTS

• On his training camp: “I’ve had a great camp and I’m in terrific shape. I’m ready. As each fight goes by, I get in better and better shape. I’m smart. I take nobody for granted. When it’s time to shine, I’m gonna shine.”

•His feelings about fighting for a world title (possibly before the end of the year): “It would be a dream come true. I’ve been preparing for this for years. You just want to get a piece of the pie. I’m ready.”

• On his goals: “My No. 1 goal is to be No. 1, nothing less. I’m getting closer but not there yet; not where I want to be. My ultimate goal: World Champion.”

• On staying at welterweight: “I can make that weight (147 pounds) easily. I want the advantages on my side: my height (6’1”) and speed. I’m still learning to use the height as a big advantage over other welterweights.”

• On how he got started in boxing: “As a teenager, I liked basketball and could dunk. I was above average, but not above above average to make it to the NBA so I wanted to try something else. The other sports weren’t rough enough. My dad took me to Joe Frazier’s gym. I picked it up pretty good. I was determined and had a good work ethic. They threw me into my first amateur fight one month after I started and I lost. It made me work harder and I stopped my next 11-12 foes. I eventually sparred with the guy who first beat me and I beat him up pretty good. I had 50-60 amateur fights.”

• On his style: “I have power like Tyson (“taught to me by Smoke [Joe Frazier] and Marvis Frazier as an amateur; I was taught how to bang early on: just plant my feet on the floor and bang “); a jab like Ali (“Snap that jab and then throw combinations off that”) and ring tricks like Roy Jones. I have long, long arms, am tall for a welterweight and fast. I’m pretty good at blocking a guy’s shot. I like to box. I look to be smart. If I see a weakness I like to go in and pounce.”

• His favorite fighters: Muhammad Ali (“He always kept popping that jab”); Mike Tyson (“I like his ferociousness & quickness); Roy Jones; Pernell “Sweat Pea” Whitaker; Evander Holyfield (“Great combinations”); Oscar De La Hoya (“He’d snap that good jab of his.”)

• On his increased media exposure: “I’m happy to be getting so much positive feedback. But there’s always going to be somebody who hasn’t seen me fight before that I want to look good for. Like they say, you only get one chance to make a good first impression. I want to do that every time I fight.”

• On who he’d like to fight in the future: “Anybody with a world championship belt would be a dream fight. That’s what I’ve worked so hard for… to be recognized as one of the best fighters in world.”

• On a future fight with Floyd Mayweather: “It would be a dream come true. He’s the man. He always works so hard. Look at his stomach, how ripped it is. I keep working hard every day to get that. Give me 10% of what Mayweather has. I’d work his body and keep working the left side and hope he gets tired. You can’t touch him on his right side. He snaps that great jab, up and down. He waits for you to open up and he’ll counter. You must counter his counter. I’d have to be in the same tremendous shape like him.”

• On a future fight with Manny Pacquiao: “I’d keep Pacquiao at the end of everything. He jumps in and counter punches. It’s hard to counter punch 3’s and 4’s but you have to be patient.”

• On a future fight with WBC titlist Andre Berto (which has been mentioned by Berto’s promoter as a possibility for the fall): “Great talent, very fast…brings a lot of power. I’d try to use my height. Mix it up. When he throws exchanges he leaves himself open. I see myself catching him and knocking him out.”

• On his soft-spoken nature: “I’m humble and don’t like to brag or boast. But on fight night, I let my fists do the talking. My fists are rather loud.”

Who?.......

Had to do it.

Comment

Isn't Paul Williams also 73 inches in height? They should duke it out.

Comment

M.J coming for berto's ass. WARRRRRRRRRR JONES

Comment

Originally posted by vercingetorix3 View Post
          Isn't Paul Williams also 73 inches in height? They should duke it out.
          Yeah bro,That would be good to.

Comment

i truly believe this kid is the future of the ww/jmw divisions for some time to come. he fights like someone beyond his years and u can tell he has high ring intellignece in this article. itd be interesting if he decided to move down to 140 for the big fights, if he could possibly make 140 anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              i truly believe this kid is the future of the ww/jmw divisions for some time to come. he fights like someone beyond his years and u can tell he has high ring intellignece in this article. itd be interesting if he decided to move down to 140 for the big fights, if he could possibly make 140 anyways.
              Yeah bro,And he is becoming a draw to.He has a exciting fight style to.
              Hbo and showtime should invest in him.

Comment

Originally posted by El Protagonista View Post
                Who?.......

Had to do it.
                :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I like Mike Jones a lot. I'd like to see him fight Berto soon.

Comment

I really want to see this guy fight some contenders.

Comment

Too bad Jones isnt a Top Rank fighter or this fight would be made already.

Comment

Working...
                    X