No announcement yet.

What is Freddy Roach's secret?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
    I don't recall Mayweather landing too many pull-counters over DLH's jab. I know he landed one good one off the ropes, early in either round 3 or 4, but DLH walked thru it and went to PBF's body (PBF blocked them with his elbow).

It was for this reason that I kind of wondered why DLH didn't jab as often. PBF can make guys leary about jabbing because of his counter right over the jab, unless you're Gatti or Ndou, and keep throwing the jab no matter how many times Mayweather hits you clean with a right hand over it.

But with DLH, I didn't see Mayweather's counter right over the jab being effective. What he was very effective with, however, was jabbing to DLH's body, and then coming upstairs with a right to the head. That worked for PBF time and time again.
    One of Pacquiaos favourite combinations, I see a few of those landing in the fight ... that is of course if pacquiao isn't knocked out by the first clean blow.

To the question I don't think there is a secret, Pacquiao will try to run until the later rounds then expose De La Hoya's stamina issues, although they could well be improved as a result of the weight, he looks good in training too.

Comment

I doubt that it wasn't just Oscars physical stamina in the fight. It also seemed to be his mental stamina.

Oscar was told to jab while coming in but he lost focus...

In his post fight interview after the PBF fight he said he had no clue as to why he stopped throwing the Jab.

Look Oscar is old now (as a fighter). When a fighter gets older they become more and more cautious when it comes to throwing punches and more often than not, they become too cautious.

That was one reason why Oscar stopped throwing the jab in the mayweather fight.

Comment

I think its that Oscar is gun shy

Comment

Originally posted by WithAuthority View Post
          If you watched 24/7 they showed the clip a couple times of Freddie Roach saying he knows why De La Hoya blew it during the 2nd half of the Mayweather fight/why he will lose to Pac, but he is not telling. He said we will see it during the fight. What could he be talking about?
          I hate to say it. The secret was Floyd Mayweather Jr.

That and whatever Freddie had in mind about Oscar.

Comment

I think maybe the plan is to whisper trash talk into oscar's ear everytime he goes to Pacquiao's body the same way Mayweather did. Get under his skin and have him looking 4 bombs

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro17 View Post
              What made oscar stop throwing the jab.
              what made Oscar stop was that he didn't want to waste energy hitting air. Everytime Oscar even hinted at throwing a jab, mayweather would flinch as if he were anticipating it. Oscar threw a couple of jabs early on and miss fired on most of them so he just quit trying and realized what everyone already knew, which was that if he was gonna win that fight, it was gonna be by stoppage and not by decision so throwing jabs would've been a big waste of time and energy.

He only started using the jab excuse because Merchant created it for him, otherwise he wouldn't have said anything about it himself.
              Last edited by -Swizzy-; 11-22-2008, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                what made Oscar stop was that he didn't want to waste energy hitting air. Everytime Oscar even hinted at throwing a jab, mayweather would flinch as if he were anticipating it. Oscar threw a couple of jabs early on and miss fired on most of them so he just quit trying and realized what everyone already knew, which was that if he was gonna win that fight, it was gonna be by stoppage and not by decision so throwing jabs would've been a big waste of time and energy.

He only started using the jab excuse because Merchant created it for him, otherwise he wouldn't have said anything about it himself.
                Then it still goes back to the stamina issue which isnt a secret

Comment

His secret is DLH has a little weenie.

Comment

I remember De La Hoya had a shoulder injury after the Mayorga fight (It's been a reaccuring problem he has had). When I was at the press conference and he was signing autographs my cousin asked him how the shoulder was doing and he kinda gave him a weird face and didn't say nothing.
                    My guess is his left hand isn't what it used to be and therefor why he can no longer pull the trigger.

Comment

hopkins couldnt really knockout de la hoya
                      and pacs gonna do it ?!!

Comment

Working...
                      X