Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain why Sergio Martinez vs Andre Ward at 160 doesnt make sense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to find the video right now, but Ward said right after the Dawson fight that a fight with Martinez is unlikely because they likely don't want to come up, and that going down to 160 would be very counterproductive for him given the fact one of the main reasons he moved up to 168 years ago because he was QUOTE "Killing himself to make it", not to mention Ward has said numerous times going up to 175 is coming soon. A Martinez fight is no good for either fighter, and BOTH have agreed on that. Ward can't go down, and Martinez can't go up.

Comment

Martinez is 38. His time left is extremely limited. He wants the best name possible on his record. Floyd is p4p no. 1. Martinez is willing to fight at a weight where Floyd holds a belt.

Comment

Not to mention, I believe also that Ward did in fact offer to possibly go down to 164 for a catch weight, and I believe Martinez' camp said it was a no go. So, I mean, end of story, this isn't going to happen, and even if it did one of them if not both of them would be at a disadvantage.

Oh yea, and before anyone starts the"Oh, well Dawson came down" s.hit, Dawson called Ward out there, not to mention Dawson had said going down to 168 for big fights was a serious option, and he said this before the SMW tournament started and before Ward was even a top fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
          Not to mention, I believe also that Ward did in fact offer to possibly go down to 164 for a catch weight, and I believe Martinez' camp said it was a no go. So, I mean, end of story, this isn't going to happen, and even if it did one of them if not both of them would be at a disadvantage.

Oh yea, and before anyone starts the"Oh, well Dawson came down" s.hit, Dawson called Ward out there, not to mention Dawson had said going down to 168 for big fights was a serious option, and he said this before the SMW tournament started and before Ward was even a top fighter.
          no he didn't he specifically said no catchweight to a possible Martinez fight and as far as chad calling him out he wanted to fight him at 172 that was the perfect opportunity for him to capture the lineal WBC and rind belts at LHW

Comment

Andre Ward can't make 160. Sergio Martinez can make 154. That's the difference between Mayweather-Martinez and Martinez-Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
              I'm trying to find the video right now, but Ward said right after the Dawson fight that a fight with Martinez is unlikely because they likely don't want to come up, and that going down to 160 would be very counterproductive for him given the fact one of the main reasons he moved up to 168 years ago because he was QUOTE "Killing himself to make it", not to mention Ward has said numerous times going up to 175 is coming soon. A Martinez fight is no good for either fighter, and BOTH have agreed on that. Ward can't go down, and Martinez can't go up.
              End of thread, save for the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                Andre Ward can't make 160. Sergio Martinez can make 154. That's the difference between Mayweather-Martinez and Martinez-Ward.

I find it hard to believe that a 37 year old can have an easier time making 154 ( a weight he has not made in over 3 years) over a 28 year old making 168 lbs. Could it be that people want Martinez to make 154 over Ward making 160 because they want Floyd to be at size disadvangtage fighting Sergio ..knowing skill for skill, Floyd would beat Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
                  I find it hard to believe that a 37 year old can have an easier time making 154 ( a weight he has not made in over 3 years) over a 28 year old making 168 lbs. Could it be that people want Martinez to make 154 over Ward making 160 because they want Floyd to be at size disadvangtage fighting Sergio ..knowing skill for skill, Floyd would beat Martinez.
                  Ward has said himself he cant make 160..... Don't know what else your looking for

Comment

Despite Sergio's unprecedented success as a middleweight he is naturally a super welter. Ward is too big for Martinez. Period.

Chavez Jr. almost took out Martinez on size alone.

What's confusing about this?? Martinez is a giant killer.

Ward is too much to ask however. Stupid proposal.

Comment

Working...
                    X