Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: McGirt: Patience, Pressure, Defense Beats Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: McGirt: Patience, Pressure, Defense Beats Sergio Martinez

Buddy McGirt is training Matthew Macklin for his March 17 fight against middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. He spoke briefly with BoxingScene.com about the bout.

[Click Here To Read More]

intresting !!!!!!!!!! because i think a hard hittin pressure fighter , that shows alot of angles would be a stylistic nightmare for martinez !!!!!!!! if only manny wasnt so small he would prove my point !!!!!! Patience, Pressure, Defense wouldnt work on martinez !!!! you have to go in their with a warrior mentality that manny has in order to be victorious !!!!!!!!!!!! the style that mc girt is suggsting would play right into the hands of the ex bycicle rider !!!!!
    Last edited by treason1; 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by treason1 View Post
      intresting !!!!!!!!!! because i think a hard hittin pressure fighter , that shows alot of angles would be a stylistic nightmare for martinez !!!!!!!! if only manny wasnt so small he would prove my point !!!!!! Patience, Pressure, Defense wouldnt work on martinez !!!! you have to go in their with a warrior mentality that manny has in order to be victorious !!!!!!!!!!!! the style that mc girt is suggsting would play right into the hands of the ex bycicle rider !!!!!
      Well Martinez is very accurate...a guy who throws as many punches against Martinez will get KO'd...they have the same style...same combinations, same in and out movement, except Martinez is a slick fighter and Manny cant land...U got to avoid all of sergio's punches the entire fight, cuz once he lands, its a surram wrap

Comment

Yeah, it´s so easy to mix pressure and defense in boxing. Good luck to Macklin, he will need it, because referee will not help him like against Varon.

Comment

I agree.

Martinez' greatest attribute is his stamina.

When he counterpunches, his eyes are closed and he cannot respond to anyone who could slip his hail mary punches.

Then again, he's been fortunate enough to avoid anyone with any slipping skills.

Don't get me wrong: Martinez is a solid boxer. Its just that the secret to his success is to be patient enough to let the other guy get tired and comfortable. Then he makes his move when his opponents begin to rely on a specific habit.

Its happened with both Williams and Pavlik.

He's got a great corner because its his trainer that advises him as to what's going on and what he needs to do to capitalize.

No one can argue that it takes a certain about of heart and ability to get off the stool and execute what your trainer asks for.

However, Martinez' strength is his trump card. As long as he stays away from any real heavy leather, he lasts long enough for his trainer to assist him in adjusting during a match. Sergio doesn't have the ability to do it alone though. He also takes a huge chance by committing to those hail mary shots with his eyes completely closed.

Against a slick fighter(which I don't recall him ever facing), he'd get caught a lot because his approach works mostly against plodders who only come forward .. like Williams and Pavlik. LOL.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone between 154-160 is really all that slick. That puts Sergio in a comfort zone as far as weight, and a safety zone as far as opponents who might be able to deal with his approach.

I think maybe Cotto could give him problems at 154 if Cotto could deal with Sergio working cautiously behind a jab. Cotto tends to follow a bit too carelessly at times, and Sergio would attempt to coast to a win by jabbing with the occasional hail mary attempt. Cotto would have to earn Sergio's respect early to stand a chance. Give Sergio a reason to hesitate and second guess himself.

I definitely think Mayweather could do this. The only factor in that match-up IMO would be the weight.

If boxing does in fact begin to give on the day fight weigh ins, Martinez would be buzzard meat.

Comment

Well Macklin doesn't really have patience or defence so....

Comment

I got a feeling Sergio is going to look horrible in this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Well Macklin doesn't really have patience or defence so....
                This article was more about McGirt's insight than it ever really was about Macklin's ability.

If Macklin listens to McGirt between rounds, that could be the single most important factor working in his favor other than simply keeping his hands up.

Martinez excels at listening to his corner. I respect that about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
                  This article was more about McGirt's insight than it ever really was about Macklin's ability.

If Macklin listens to McGirt between rounds, that could be the single most important factor working in his favor other than simply keeping his hands up.

Martinez excels at listening to his corner. I respect that about him.
                  McGirt is a curse. When was the last time he was actually in the winning corner?

Comment

Macklin is a good boxer, I respect his abilities. I think Macklin would decisively beat Chavez jr and should provide a good test for Martinez. That being said, I think Macklin throws the same punches over and over. I know that Martinez throws the 1-2 85% of the time but he is an awkward boxer to begin with....and a southpaw who happens to circle primarily the wrong direction.

Martinez is able to do subtle things to catch your attention and create multiple new facets to keep track of such as the shoulder shrugs, leaning in and out, doubling up his punches, switching the direction of his movements.

Macklin does well initially until Martinez figures hm out. If Macklin starts to solve the Martinez puzzle, he'll be seeing something new in the next round that will take him a round or two to figure out. Pretty soon Macklin is getting tagged with flush shots and his face will be a mess. Either the ref stops in in rds 9-11 or Martinez drops him in those rounds.

I only say this because Sturm hardly threw any punches and even so, Macklin's face was all busted up and swollen over both eyes. Martinez is going to pulverize his face like Rocky hitting a side of beef.

Comment

Working...
                    X