Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal memories of a fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just last year Mike Tyson, Ken Buchanan, Alan Minter and Chirs Eubank were in by hometown here in the UK so i managed to meet them but we didn't really speak much.

Met and spoke with Frank Bruno many year ago.

I met Tommy Hearns in Vegas a while ago but i only shook his hand, his entourage were very protective. I also met Bert Sugar whilst i was there.

Another one as recent as two years ago I was in London when Floyd Mayweather had an open training session and i watched him train and spoke brefily after the session. I spoke with Roger too that was a great expireance.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      No, I have accumilated a bunch of amateur bouts, but I have always focused on the professional ranks. Were you in that?
      yes, I was on those. The Ellis one I had a real war with this guy. I never got to see that fight........Rockin'

Comment

Met Nigel Benn at my local night club where he was DJing - very cool guy with plenty of time to talk boxing

Scott Harrison in a Glasgow bar - ****.

Ricky Hatton and micheal Brodie in bars in manchester (seperately) - Both nice guys, Ricky in particular

Mike Tyson and Tim Witherspoon at a Tyson dinner function in Aberdeen - Great guys, wish id had longer to talk with Mike tho but everyone wanted his time! Spoon was class. Spoke to Lee McAllister for a bit there too and he was funny he called John Murray a wanker and said he'd get him next time lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
          I've heard stories of Marvin not being a very friendly guy.

Can you tell me how he wasn't a very friendly guy? (If you don't mind me asking).

He just wasnt very social at all. I remember asking him something about Leonard and his response was something to the effect of "fuck Ray Leonard"! He wasn't rude, he just didn't want to talk. When I got up from the bar and asked for his autograph is when he gave me his hat and signed it. I went to a table with my friends and he left a few minutes later.I got the impression he just didn't want to be bothered and was was much more recognizable without the hat on.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

He just wasnt very social at all. I remember asking him something about Leonard and his response was something to the effect of "fuck Ray Leonard"! He wasn't rude, he just didn't want to talk. When I got up from the bar and asked for his autograph is when he gave me his hat and signed it. I went to a table with my friends and he left a few minutes later.I got the impression he just didn't want to be bothered and was was much more recognizable without the hat on.
            Its cool he gave u the hat and signed too! Hagler never struck me as a cheery guy who wants to chit chat anyway so no shock there.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Yeah I've heard stories about Marvin not really wanting to talk to people.

My uncle met him here in Vegas a couple years back, and said what's up and asked him bout Ray Leonard and he said almost the same exact thing about him. He said,"WHO? FUCK RAY LEONARD!!". But didn't give my uncle an autograph, just a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
                Yeah I've heard stories about Marvin not really wanting to talk to people.

My uncle met him here in Vegas a couple years back, and said what's up and asked him bout Ray Leonard and he said almost the same exact thing about him. He said,"WHO? FUCK RAY LEONARD!!". But didn't give my uncle an autograph, just a picture.

Marvin must really still be pissed about that decision man! lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  Met Nigel Benn at my local night club where he was DJing - very cool guy with plenty of time to talk boxing

Scott Harrison in a Glasgow bar - ****.

Ricky Hatton and micheal Brodie in bars in manchester (seperately) - Both nice guys, Ricky in particular

Mike Tyson and Tim Witherspoon at a Tyson dinner function in Aberdeen - Great guys, wish id had longer to talk with Mike tho but everyone wanted his time! Spoon was class. Spoke to Lee McAllister for a bit there too and he was funny he called John Murray a wanker and said he'd get him next time lol
                  Meant to say i met Ken Buchanan same place as i met Benn but at a charity boxing show where a few of my mates were fighting

Comment

Yeah, he's never seemed the type to forgive and play nice. He's just an ornery mother fucker.

His half Brother Robbie Simms was the same way. I went to Petronelli's gym to spar one time (before we found out it would be with Stevie Collins) and Simms was just miserable. I guess I can chalk that up to he was working and and didn't want to be bothered, but at the same time Collins was nice as pie and worked with me the entire time I was there.

Comment

I bet if given the chance, he would fight Ray Leonard again.

Comment

Working...
                      X