Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' - Deconstructing Ward-Dawson 24/7 Ep. 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' - Deconstructing Ward-Dawson 24/7 Ep. 1

by David P. Greisman - How much we respect certain fighters doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll expect much of the fight they’re in. And the level of interest we have in what will happen doesn’t necessarily translate to the level of excitement we’ll have while watching it unfold.

From the moment Chad Dawson signed to fight Andre Ward, we have been drawn in by the idea of the light heavyweight champion dropping seven pounds to face the super middleweight champion, but also dreading what their encounter could entail. Sometimes when top-tier boxers share a ring, their styles mesh and bring us pleasure. Sometimes, though, as with Timothy Bradley vs. Devon Alexander, their styles clash and bring us pain.

We respect Dawson and Ward, and we’re interested in their Sept. 8 fight, but we don’t expect much out of it, and we’re not as excited about it as we are for the fight weekend that follows seven days later, when an HBO pay-per-view headlined by Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. airs at the same time that Showtime puts on a quadrupleheader featuring Canelo Alvarez vs. Josesito Lopez in the main event.

We won’t write Ward-Dawson off, though. We’ll watch and hope to be proven wrong. HBO isn’t writing it off, either. The network has invested in putting two champions in against each other. While Martinez-Chavez is the big show for September, Ward-Dawson nevertheless received a special episode of HBO’s “24/7” series, this one entitled “Road to Ward/Dawson.” [Click Here To Read More]

War Dawson..... I really only watched that episode because he was in it.

Comment

Deconstructing Ward-Dawson 24/7 Ep. 1

by David P. Greisman - "That wasn't the highlight of HBO's boxing programming this weekend; rather, the "Face off" between Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was 13 compelling minutes that left this viewer more excited about their Sept. 15 middleweight championship fight."

----------

^ Summarized.

Comment

Both guys are respectful, family men. Hard to not like and respect both. Happy to see Iceman on there also. Im still not holding my breath that this wont just be a hold and foul fight for 12 rounds. Hold and foul on the highest level to be sure, but hold and foul none the less.

Comment

Betwwen the 1st and 15th of september boxing fans are in for a real treat, first we get to see Geneddy Golvkin for the first time live. Then Dawson vs Ward a fight in which the wrinner is clearly a top five pound for pound guy. Then the 15th which gives us The best middleweight fight that can be made in which the winner is also a top five pound for pound guy. Also on that night one of the brightest young stars Canelo in a decent fight. A good featherweight fight with Deleon and Gonzolez, maidana and leo Martinez in strong tune up fights and rigo all in action on there respevtive undercards what a 15 day span.

Comment

WBC President Jose Sulaiman responded to an email from BoxingScene.com on Sunday afternoon, saying he has asked his office to send me information on what Chavez weighed for the 30- and 7-day weigh-ins ahead of the Rubio bout. I will note the answer, once it comes, in a future edition of The 10 Count.
            Rubio said they didn't do any 30-day and 7-day for either of them. It was something he complained about.

Comment

I like brawls like any other boxing fan, but pure boxing appeals to me as well when the level is as high as it will be with Ward and Dawson, both trying to impose their style on the other. It wasn't the best 24/7 ever, but this good to show stuff for fighters who aren't the most well known, but no less talented than most popular fighters.

I do wonder who'll Ward will fight next if he wins clearly enough to have no need for a rematch.

Comment

Andre Ward is rapidly becoming my favorite fighter in the game. The dude is pure class outside the ring, and a mythical beast inside it. I honestly think he is going to box Dawson's ears off. Ward by wide UD. And he makes it look EASY.

Comment

Originally posted by lastrealfan View Post
                  Betwwen the 1st and 15th of september boxing fans are in for a real treat, first we get to see Geneddy Golvkin for the first time live. Then Dawson vs Ward a fight in which the wrinner is clearly a top five pound for pound guy. Then the 15th which gives us The best middleweight fight that can be made in which the winner is also a top five pound for pound guy. Also on that night one of the brightest young stars Canelo in a decent fight. A good featherweight fight with Deleon and Gonzolez, maidana and leo Martinez in strong tune up fights and rigo all in action on there respevtive undercards what a 15 day span.
                  Not to mention a stacked Sept. 8 as well.

Comment

I think this author hit the nail square on the head when he said that the general public would rather see a sequel about two potheads then two fighters who dedicate themselves to the sweet science. Despite boxing having some of the most paid athletes in the world, the fact that people would rather see a comedy movie over two skillful fighters and the fact that several fights this year had to give away more tickets then they sold is really telling of how popular and cloistered boxing is from the public.

That being said, I'm confused by what the author said about Ward. Is he saying it would be better for promotional reasons if Ward was the stereotypical bad boy who booze and abuse while riding dirty in his new car of the week? Wouldn't that just enforce the negative stereotype of boxers to the general public?

I also find it interesting that the author implies that Dawson-Ward won't sell well because there's no heated debate, no emotion. Isn't that another insight into boxing, where two fighters who throw themselves into studying technique and skill, and are basically A-level practitioners of the art of boxing, can't sell because it's not violent enough?

On one last note, I have to say (even though I didn't see it and am only going off the sound byte listed) Martinez is far wittier then Chavez, whose comeback can be boiled down to "No, YOUR lost", like a schoolyard boy would say. Meanwhile the rebuttals of Martinez are competent zings to Chavez who has no good answer to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X