Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freedom.
    Boy s tenyu II. Revansh (2007) 8.5/10

Sometime the music was annoying, and the dubbing of English over the Russian voices made it seem kind of tacky, like the guy who translates Spanish into English on HBO. But overall it was still very good. There was never a dull moment from beginning to end - I enjoyed this one more than any boxing movie that's come out since Cinderella Man.

Kid Galahad (1937) 9/10

This one is definitely one of the five best boxing movies ever made. You can't go wrong with Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart in a movie with Michael Curtiz directing.

Hidalgo (2004) 2/10

This one is absolute garbage. The screenwriting is truly awful.

A Night to Remember (1958) 9/10

This movie is a realistic account of the worst marine disaster in history: the sinking of the Titanic. It's very well-written and intelligently directed. If anybody wants to have an idea of what actually happened that night, this is the movie to watch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom.
      Yes, that was a horrifying war crime against German civilians.

They were trying to escape the Bolsheviks on that overcrowded ship. The Soviets killed every single man, woman and child in East Prussia, except for those few who managed to escape.
      I'm still waiting for Steven Schpielberg to make a movie about it.

I wonder if it will ever come.

Comment

• the apartment

billy wilder aint the kind of filmmaker that thinks visually like hitch or bergman... sure he can, but it will go against the grain of what he really is... writer first, director second...

that said, the apartment is one great cinematic achievement... its the ultimate romcom that is devoid of cheese and silly pretensions... while jack lemmon may have carried the film with his comic talents and superb timing, the film really takes off with billy wilder's panache as a writer for the screen...

the guy is simply a giant in the history of film...

Comment

• The Notorious Concubines (1969)

It's 13th Century Japan and a two-timing houswife livin' the trife life schemes to move upward in society only to link up with a wealthy bastard who is slowly going insane in a world of orgies, severe punishment and even rape. This is some late '60s sexploitation mixed with violence (I laughed out loud at the fight scenes, having never seen bad fighting scenes in an Asian film before, but obviously this movie was geared towards the gratutious sex and not the battles). The film will be seen as pure camp, but early on the story, although basic, moves along quickly and effeciently before it gets lost and becomes kinda muddled. Although there is nudity it's not very explicit for the most part. Some of the dialog at the start would fit in well on a Wu-Tang album. Overall, it was fun to watch but it wasn't mindblowing. Would give it a strong 6.5 out of 10.

[WARNING: TRAILER CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Azumi (2003)

In feudal Japan, a master out in the countryside secretly raises a pack of kids to become lethal teenage warriors. Their mission is take out various warlords before they can begin a full scale war. The main character is Azumi (Aya Ueto) and she is very pretty. Before the mission begins, her and her friends come off more like Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles with the way they talk and act with each other, but in one of the most memorable scenes early on that all changes rather quickly. The movie is quite entertaining with some really good fight sequences and there's a main villain who looks and acts like a total pansy but like most good villains you love to hate him. A solid 8 out of 10.

Chocolate (2008)

Thai movie about an autistic girl who learns phenomenal martial arts skills by watching Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Tony Jaa movies. I got to admit when the movie first started it felt kinda goofy and cheesy. But that all changed once star JeeJa Yanin started doing all her amazing action scenes. According to a behind the scenes short on the DVD, JeeJa trained for two years before filming began and continued training for two more years while the movie was being shot. Anyways, she really does look like she's about 15 in this movie (although I think she was in her early 20s, not sure) and although there's a melodramatic storyline that involves forbidden love, ladyboy gangsters and even a rival autistic b-boy, the real strength of the movie is the great fight scenes. All while watching I kept thinking that some of the stunts looked absolutely brutal and sure enough during the credits they show you several of the cast being seriously hurt during production. Give this one a super strong 8.5 out of 10.

Comment

• I wanna talk about the movie "The Truman show." Damn, that's like the greatest movie I've ever seen in my life. In conclusion, go out and rent this movie at your local video store, you will not regret it. I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
              I wanna talk about the movie "The Truman show." Damn, that's like the greatest movie I've ever seen in my life. In conclusion, go out and rent this movie at your local video store, you will not regret it. I love it.
              i've always found it quite difficult to choose between this one and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind as the best jim carey film...

or man in the moon for that matter...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
                I wanna talk about the movie "The Truman show." Damn, that's like the greatest movie I've ever seen in my life. In conclusion, go out and rent this movie at your local video store, you will not regret it. I love it.
                you also go try Vanilla Sky or Dark City

Comment

• Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  i've always found it quite difficult to choose between this one and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind as the best jim carey film...

or man in the moon for that matter...
                  Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
                  you also go try Vanilla Sky or Dark City
                  Great. I will make sure to watch all those movies. I am sure they are great movies. I really liked "The Truman Show", since it was such a cool concept for a movie.

Comment

• 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' boxes it's way to a UD against 'The Truman Show' without even breaking a sweat.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                      'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' boxes it's way to a UD against 'The Truman Show' without even breaking a sweat.
                      Truman show has a real charm to it tho. Ive watched that film a few times when its been on.
                      Wouldnt mind seeing Spotless Mind again.

Saw The Hobbit on Sunday in HFR 3D in Odeon Leicester Square London (the largest screen in the uk).
                      Thought it was pretty damn good. The beginning looked fake and cheesy, but the CGI was the best ive seen. The 3D is really impressive. And in HFR it was stunning. The audience applauded at the end. Didnt seem like 3 hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X