Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which un-timely death in boxing do you find the most tragic?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diego Corrales

Comment

salvador sanchez for sure, he could had being mexicos goat, by the time of his death 23 he had beat, gomes, nelson, little red lopez, juan la porte.

Comment

Salvador Sanchez, young guy that beat two HOF and one can only imagine what else he could had achieved.

Valero bringing real competition at 140lb. But he already had that trouble with his wife so he might had been out of the picture anyway

Comment

Last edited by edgarg; 03-28-2012, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Valero- the potential was there. But him as a person did not deserve the chance.

Gatti and Vernon Forrest were "WTH" shockers to say the least.

Comment

Davey Moore...... my uncle.

Comment

Vernon Forrest. One of my favorite fighters and a great person out of the ring.

Comment

I say that there can be no other than Bill Stribling. He boxed under the name of Young Stribling, and had nearly 300 fights before he was killed at age 28. He has the next highest KO record to Archie Moore, over 120. I used to read about him when I was a kid beginning boxing. He was a very prominent figure. You guys should look him up, it would be an education as to what boxing was all about before I was born, although when I was growing up, it was on the slide by then. Stribling was exceptional. I've seen pictures of him wearing a flying helmet, and I think he owned an aeroplane. Rare for his times.

They were a family vaudeville act of acrobats, and travelled all over the States and I think think even in Europe too. I know he was in England, and fought all the top guys there. His father and mother were missionaries of some sort, and his dad became manager and his mother was trainer, she used to spar with him.They were Ma and Pa Stribling and were a sincerely religious family. He had a young brother they called, Baby Stribling,and were all devoted to one another. Nat Fleischer wrote about them. They were a famous family in boxing.

His death was very tragic. His wife had a baby and he was going to the hospital to see the baby for the first time on a motorbike, and was hit by a car. It took him a little while to die and I seem to remember that all he would talk about was his wife and baby. It was really sad. He would have beaten Schmeling for the title only was stopped (on a TKO?) in the last few seconds of the fight when well ahead.

Comment

stanley ketchel, pancho villa some of the more historic ones

Comment

Originally posted by El.Naranjito707 View Post
                      Which un-timely death in boxing do you find the most tragic?
                      Hipolito Saucedo commited suicide after his loss to Danny Romero. I remember him clearly being the better fighter but that Romero won somehow(kinda like Luis "Artezano" Cruz being better but losing to Burgos). It just bothered me that maybe he wouldn't have been so down and depressed if he'd become champion----and he was so close----the better fighter. Fu.ck! That shi.t bothers me.

Comment

Working...
                      X