Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Gatti, Hill in HOF Show Change is Needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Gatti, Hill in HOF Show Change is Needed

by David P. Greisman - Do not read this as an indictment of Arturo Gatti and Virgil Hill.

Do not see this as an attempt to discredit either man’s accomplishments.

Hill followed his Olympic silver medal with a pro career he should be proud of: 10 defenses of a light heavyweight title during his first reign, and another 10 defenses in the division during his second reign, including a very brief period in which he was seen as the legitimate, lineal champion. In his later years, he twice would hold a cruiserweight belt.

Gatti had one of the most storied careers in boxing, a career in which the two title belts he held matter much less than the fights he was in. The fact that he was so flawed helped make him so fan-friendly, but it was his other attributes that ensured he would be that way. He could absorb an inhuman amount of punishment, seeking to use his own powerful hands as an equalizer, carrying through the pain thanks to an abundance of heart. He was in four "Ring Magazine" fights of the year and shared the ring with Micky Ward in one of boxing’s best trilogies.

They deserve to be lauded and praised. Gatti in particular will be remembered for generations to come, spoken of by fathers and grandfathers recalling his battles with the same twinkle in their eyes as with those who reminisced about Carmen Basilio.

Gatti and Hill should not be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

They will be, though.

Gatti, Hill and former 108-pound titleholder Myung-Woo Yuh were the three "modern" boxers selected for induction into Canastota in June 2013; they were voted for this past October, with the announcement made last week.

Do not look at this article as an overreaction to these two fighters’ coming inductions.

But the selections of Arturo Gatti and Virgil Hill to be enshrined in Canastota are symbolic of larger problems with the process, a sign that some changes need to be made. [Click Here To Read More]

Good article. I think that the author is correct in his assessment that the greatest should be allowed into the Hall. I won't argue it too much here as it was explained well in the article, but Gatti was one of my favorite fighters to watch, but his achievements just don't stack up. Losing your biggest fights does not make one a great fighter. Anyway, the 10 count, as always, was entertaining. Too bad about Too Sharp though, Bones Adams too...

Comment

I don't have a problem with either Gatti or Hill being in the Hall.

But what bugs me out is Carlos Palomino got into the hall of fame lol first try and Prince Naseem gets rejected first try.

Comment

Man im a bit iffy with this to be honest.

I love gatti's attitude and fights but i think HOF should have a higher standard than this.

Comment

what a load of ****..... Gatti deserves his place as he is better than some of the fighters that have got in already.... Barry McGuigan for one and if your throwing Sylvester Stallone in and Joe Cortez in then Gatti surely deserves a place

Comment

Originally posted by smokeybambam View Post
            what a load of ****..... Gatti deserves his place as he is better than some of the fighters that have got in already.... Barry McGuigan for one and if your throwing Sylvester Stallone in and Joe Cortez in then Gatti surely deserves a place
            Stallone is not in the hall as a fighter lol, people need to stop being ignorant and look at the categories that are inducted lol.

Stallone deserves his spot, ROCKY influenced many people to watch boxing or become boxers as kids.

Again he is not in as a FIGHTER, they have different categories he belongs in the observer category.

Comment

If you only let the true cream of the crop in there, the HOF would be half empty. Its not like every year or even every 5 years that you get ATG boxers. Maybe the Hall needs to start a new catagory for fighters that do a lot for the sport regardless of their achievements. Gatti deserves to be there in my opinion. He was an inspirational warrior.

Comment

HOF has been cheapened last 15 yrs or so...Gatti, same level as Pryor & deserves this??No way, a fun, action exciting boxer but noot even approaching elite status...boxing's HOF is following baseball, sad...

Comment

My heart tells me Gatti deserves to be in there but my head tells me he dont but im going to follow my heart. Well deserved Gatti a true warrior R.I.P

Comment

The Racket Squad: The Hall Is A Lonely Hunter

What makes anyone think that the HOF is such a sacred temple of truth?

We are a society of top 10 lists that mean nothing.
                    Every list is simply an opinion and everybody has one.

Gatti and Hill are as deserving as any pugilist.

Until YOU lace 'em up, do not think that those you feel cheated the process are less deserving.

Comment

Working...
                    X