No announcement yet.

Saved by the bell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved by the bell

'Saved by the bell'. A boxingterm integrated in the english language. As it normally is today, a fighter cannot be saved by the bell in any round.

I'm looking for examples of fighters being saved by the bell. I remember one time watching a vid, probably posted by TheGreatA, showing a fighter getting a severe beating and ending the round on the mat. His corner entered the ring and dragged him back and succesfully revived him so he could answer the bell for the next round only to receive further (unneccessary) punishment.

Please post some vids.

Well the most famous one I can think of is Cassius Clay (soon to be Muhammad Ali) vs Henry Cooper in their 1st bout at Wembley. No doubt about it Ali was stunned BADLY. I think the 'Dundee saved Ali' story has gathered a bit of a life of it's own but Our 'Enry could punch & may well have finish Ali if the bell hadn't rang.

Another bout I remember hearing about was Cooper's ex opponent, Ingemar Johansson, in his final bout, versus Brian London. Ingemar controlled the bout but was knocked down in the dying seconds of the 12th. He got up but who knows what would have happened if there was another minute or so.

Looking forward to hearing/having my memory refreshed, about others.

Comment

Yeah Clay-Cooper is probably the most famous example. It's likely that Dundee's action of splitting the glove gave Clay enough time to be fully recovered.

Comment

I am going by memory but I believe in Bobby Czyz against Leslie Stewart, Czyz was saved by the bell in one of the rounds when he was hurt, however the bell rang early to save him. About a minute early.

Comment

No video of this... but one of the most famous examples of being saved by the bell, must be the 10 rounds No Decision bout between Stanley Ketchel and Philadelphia Jack O'Brien in 1909 (their first fight).

In the final round Ketchel floored his man 4 times - the last time seemingly for the full count, as O'Brian was out cold! But with the bell ending the round midway through the referee's count, O'Brian was saved from a certain ko defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
            No video of this... but one of the most famous examples of being saved by the bell, must be the 10 rounds No Decision bout between Stanley Ketchel and Philadelphia Jack O'Brien in 1909 (their first fight).

In the final round Ketchel floored his man 4 times - the last time seemingly for the full count, as O'Brian was out cold! But with the bell ending the round midway through the referee's count, O'Brian was saved from a certain ko defeat.
            Good stuff my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              Good stuff my friend.
              Thanks, Bat.

Interesting thread! Ketchel-O'Brian was the first thing I thought of, but I'm sure there must be other such examples.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                Yeah Clay-Cooper is probably the most famous example. It's likely that Dundee's action of splitting the glove gave Clay enough time to be fully recovered.
                It got him about 7 extra seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                  It got him about 7 extra seconds
                  Yeah. As a sidenote those 7 extra seconds equals the lenght NBC(?) wants to have the intermission between rounds prolonged with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

Dropping knowledge! Good post man.

Comment

Working...
                    X