No announcement yet.

What to tell someone before there first sparring session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to tell someone before there first sparring session

Hey guys I have been taking my nephew to a boxing gym the last three months. He just turned 13 the boxing coach asked him if he wants to spar. I think he his defiantly a stand out compared to the other kids in his class... one is some advice i can give him before he goes into the ring for the first time.

Just need to tell him to relax since he will have some nerves.

It really helps to go through some words he can repeat to himself to keep calm and focused like "relax" "I can do this". (sounds cheesy but it works)

The best thing to do is keep it simple - go through the basics with him, the 1-2 combination, working off the jab. Remind him he has done this hundreds time before outside of the ring.

At the end of the day needs to know that you don't win or lose in sparring, that you are just practising what you have learnt.

Comment

Keep your hands up.

Defend yourself at all times :P

Comment

relax. the most important thing is to relax. most guys tire out in a round or 2 because theyre tense as ****. being tense is a waste of energy. cool, calm and relaxed is the way to be. explode when attacking.

in the words of the late great Bruce Lee -"slow is smooth. smooth is fast. fast is hard."

Comment

thanks everyone

Comment

I haven't been training that long and I was trying to get some advice from a seasoned boxer on what to work on. He replied "relax and have fun". Solid advice for a newbie IMO. Btw I owned the following round! 8)

Comment

Give him plenty of encouragement, remind him to defend himself at all times, and have a clear mind before sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by terriblegabe View Post
                Hey guys I have been taking my nephew to a boxing gym the last three months. He just turned 13 the boxing coach asked him if he wants to spar. I think he his defiantly a stand out compared to the other kids in his class... one is some advice i can give him before he goes into the ring for the first time.
                Keep them hands up, this is not an actual fight work on the basics but the most important thing I tell anybody who is a newbie, DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH, make sure you breathe when you punch....

if your going to rest in there rest using your jab.....

Comment

dont close ur eyes

dont hold ur breath

and dont worry if ur nervous

thats normal

Comment

Thank everyone I took all the advice on letting him know to be relaxed and stick to the basics.

He did very well, he sparred with two different kids both of him much taller than him. (He is a short kid about 5'0"). Both of them felt his power and pretty much didn't want to exchange with him. So had his way with them, what is some advice i can tell him since he is very short and most of the kids around his age are taller than him.

Comment

Working...
                    X