Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mayweather beat Marciano's 49-0 record?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Mayweather beat Marciano's 49-0 record?

Mayweather is already at 43-0, most expect him to soon be 44-0 and he is talking about fighting "4 to 5 more times after cotto"

He will soon be approaching Calzaghe's 46-0 record. IMO he would already be there if he didnt take so much time off.

Do you think he would get any credit if he beats the 49-0 record or would people say it doesnt count because he isnt a heavyweight or that JCC jr already beat it (though with many low quality filler matches)

Originally posted by elfag View Post
    Mayweather is already at 43-0, most expect him to soon be 44-0 and he is talking about fighting "4 to 5 more times after cotto"

He will soon be approaching Calzaghe's 46-0 record. IMO he would already be there if he didnt take so much time off.

Do you think he would get any credit if he beats the 49-0 record or would people say it doesnt count because he isnt a heavyweight or that JCC jr already beat it (though with many low quality filler matches)
    Mayweather is 42-0 until he beats Cotto.

Don't think he'll beat Marciano's mark because he doesn't fight often enough and keeps taking major fights. Marciano had like 10 legit opponents in his entire 49 wins. There's also just a lot of bad luck trying to make 49-0.

Larry Holmes dethroned at 48-0.
    Dariusz Michalczewski dethroned at 48-0.
    Ricardo Lopez picked up a draw at 47-0.
    Nikolay Valuev dethroned at 46-0.
    Johnny Tapia dethroned at 46-0-2.
    etc...

Comment

He might. I think he probably retires before that though. How much credit he gets depends on who he fights. A Cotto win would be pretty good, but if he really wants some credit he needs a big win over someone like Manny Pacquiao. Being unbeaten isn't as important as someone's competition. I mean, Sven Ottke is undefeated and so are guys like Ike Ibeabuchi and Joe Calzaghe, yet are they considered great? Not from what I've heard and read. Unless he beats a Pacquiao or a Sergio Martinez, he'll get some credit for the feat, but not a lot.

Another question is, has there ever been an undefeated fighter that's considered great in his era or an all-time great? Rocky Marciano? The guy fought in a weaker era, but that's not really his fault. Calzaghe I like too, but he's pretty much just considered pretty good, with decent punching power and pretty good handspeed, but mostly weaker competition. I liked Joe Mesi, but again, not a great. Entertaining nonetheless though. Most of the greats seem to have about 2 to 5 losses on their records, maybe a few more for some that stuck around too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        Mayweather is 42-0 until he beats Cotto.

Don't think he'll beat Marciano's mark because he doesn't fight often enough and keeps taking major fights. Marciano had like 10 legit opponents in his entire 49 wins. There's also just a lot of bad luck trying to make 49-0.

Larry Holmes dethroned at 48-0.
        Dariusz Michalczewski dethroned at 48-0.
        Ricardo Lopez picked up a draw at 47-0.
        Nikolay Valuev dethroned at 46-0.
        Johnny Tapia dethroned at 46-0-2.
        etc...

My mistake youre right, that makes it look even less likely that he will reach that mark already being 35. He could have made it if he fought more often, though on the flipside who knows what would have happened to his hands if he fought more often

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
          My mistake youre right, that makes it look even less likely that he will reach that mark already being 35. He could have made it if he fought more often, though on the flipside who knows what would have happened to his hands if he fought more often
          He says he wants to fight another five times after Cotto, which would bring him to 48-0 in a best-case scenario and just short of matching it. He's making around $40 million a fight these days and his activity level and age would suggest 48 as the ceiling. As far as getting credit, you'd think he wouldnt with all of the negative pub he gets and sometimes generates on his own but it just wouldnt be right. He's a 3x lineal champion (130, 135, 147). I would have to double check, but he's also had no fewer than 11 bouts against fighters rated #1 or #2 at the time he fought them from 130-154. That's Top 2 alone. Numerous others in the general Top 10. Everything outside is subjective. For what he's done in his era, he's very clearly ATG material and to suggest otherwise requires a great deal of denial and likely hypocrisy as well.

Comment

If, 5 years ago, he had set that goal, he'd smash it with ease. Could have made like 52-0. However he doesn't fight enough, I reckon he'll take 45-0.

Comment

I wouldn't take everything Mayweather says so literally. I think he'll fight 3 more times tops after the Cotto bout.

Comment

But will he break Brian Nielson's mark?

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                  But will he break Brian Nielson's mark?
                  Damn, I forgot Nielsen made it to 49-0. But just by attempting to pass it he got TKOed by a low end journeyman....sad.

Comment

May 6th - 42-1.

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                    X