No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Crolla Battles Back To Make John Murray Crumble in Ten

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Crolla Battles Back To Make John Murray Crumble in Ten

In a classic Battle of Manchester, WBO I/C lightweight champion Anthony Crolla overcame a very rocky start to continue his rally to an occasional world title shot with an impressive tenth-round stoppage of comebacking former world title challenger John Murray.

Murray (now 33-3, 20 KOs) came back in November 2013 after two years off the ring and stopped little-known Michael Escobar. His stock raised much higher a month ago, when he also stopped well-known domestic contender John Simpson. Murray, 29, picked up where he had left against WBO #6 Crolla. He used his physical power and punch output to force the defending champion on the defensive. Murray was all over Crolla, throwing and landing numerous punches from different angles.
    [Click Here To Read More]

It was a war of attrition, and Anthony Crolla came out the enduring victor. Congrats to him he is a true badass. Murray had no power late because of how tired he was from coming on so strong in the beginning rounds. Crolla kept his offense sharp and consistent. Hats off to both guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBestSport View Post
      It was a war of attrition, and Anthony Crolla came out the enduring victor. Congrats to him he is a true badass. Murray had no power late because of how tired he was from coming on so strong in the beginning rounds. Crolla kept his offense sharp and consistent. Hats off to both guys.
      Agreed, quality fight.

Crolla boxed beautifully off the back foot.

Comment

Played out in a similar way to the Murray-Mitchell fight. Murray coming on very strong and landing punches in bunches in the first few rounds, but not doing much damage, before gassing out and getting taken out in the later ones.

Murray's a little stuck in his style as he doesn't have enough power to take high level guys out early, enough stamina to maintain his pressure or sufficient skill to outbox them over the 12 and even at 29 he's got so many miles on the clock who knows if he has another decent run in him… apologies for all the cliches.

Comment

Murray is barely a gatekeeper. His boxing skills are mediocre and he was only given so much attention due to his come forward style. He thought he could walk through people but just doesn't have that sort of power.

Comment

That was one helluva fight!

Comment

I was willing Murray to win this one, but as a pressure fighter he doesn't work his way in effectively. He gifts his opponent with a static target who's willing to walk forward into shots. Like his previous losses once Crolla found a home for the uppercut it was only going to be a matter of time before John shipped too much punishment.

I can't help feeling that that lack of head movement ultimately rests on his trainers shoulders. Why he's been allowed to get to this point in his career without that being corrected is difficult to fathom.

On a side note it was a shame that some of the atmosphere, along with a portion of the crowd, was sucked out of the arena before the bout because of the amount of full scale brawls that took place during the card.

The capacity was cut, it still wasn't full anyway and I would hazard a guess that there's more money to be made from music concerts. At some point the arena management may well decide that he risk out ways the monetary gain. That's got to be a concern.

Comment

That was a cracking scrap, definate contender for domestic FOTY.

It does make me wonder whether Murray stepped into a fight of this difficulty too soon though, he was tiring after about the 5th round, maybe he could have used another warm up fight or two but fair play to Crolla, he weathered the early storm, wore Murray down and I was very surprised to see him be able to finish him.

He's probably in line for a shot at a title now, like Mitchell is, but Mitchell - Crolla anyone?

Comment

Cracking fight. Crolla took over after Murray ran out of steam. Too many wars for Murray, it makes for a short career.

What shocked me is that 2 of the judges had Murray up on the cards at the time of the stoppage!

Comment

entertaining bout , maybe Murray should think about retiring.

Comment

Working...
                    X