No announcement yet.

Broner Canelo is gonna be like Ray Leonard Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    What flaws? He showed the same flaws as always. He fought a much better fight against PDL. It's all ring rust+facing a puncher with a really good chin. Farenas took everything Gamboa had.

It looks like it's the forum vs me on this one. If you guys want to shut Gamboa down after this performance that's fine. I won't argue. But watch him dominate 130-135 in the next 3-4 years. Sure Broner probably beats him, but that's about it.
    He admires his work too much. I do agree that some things were rust, but others were simply habit. He drops his hands, both of them, after he throws badly. It's why he was getting hit so clean so often and getting hurt and dropped. DeLeon, as good as he is, much better than Farenas, fights very differently.

He throws big shots, then stays in range and drops his hands down by his side, admiring his work. It's a classic punchers flaw. He'll get KTFO unless he fixes it real soon.

I do still think he'll dominate his division for some time, but he does have that KO factor. Makes his fights exciting. It's not that often a young prospective champ, and arguably even a future great, gets dropped as often and as hard as Gamboa.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Farenas has beaten easier than that by journeymen. Aguilar beat him easier than that, and Uciyama was on his way to doing it before the cut stopped it.
      So you don't think Gamboa can dominate 130 and make a name for himself in this weight class, because of his performance against Farenas?

I mean the champions, top 1-3 are Martinez, Salgado, Uchiyama. You think Gamboa can't beat all 3 of those guys? And the WBC champion who's ranked all the way at #10.

I think he beats them all.

Comment

Alright, nevermind, you kinda answered my question.

I think he can definitely dominate 130-135, as long as he stays away from Broner.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Abraham is 5' 10" too, but because of his style, he's too short for 168. Do you know what I mean?

Like Tyson was -5' 10"-5' 11" at HW, but look at the guys' style, he was unstoppable and huge, all muscle, didn't come up from anywhere, was a HW from the start to finish. And anyway, his height definitely did play apart in his demise. Imagine a 6' 7" Mike Tyson.

Anyway, we can sit here and name 5 10 LHW's all day, I just don't think Canelo at 168 would be effective. He's 5' 9", short reach, his style is not well-suited for 168+. Unless he develops some pretty good defense, he'll just be labeled a "bloated up MW" if he does go up to 168 and he will look sloppy up there.
          It has nothing to do with Abraham's style, he's just not that good and got exposed when he stepped up.

Canelo's reach is just one inch shorter than Pascal's. I think he could make up for his height disadvantage with his counterpunching ability and a good stiff jab. But he has a long way to go before he even thinks about fighting at that weight, it's way too early to speculate on the subject, I'm just saying it's doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathknight88 View Post
            They are gonna be like Ray Leonard and Duran. Broner is gonna be like Leonard and Canelo is gonna be like Duran and it's gonna be the biggest boxing rivalry in history.,
            It will be like a giant beast punching the face off of a midget for 4 rounds until the stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              It has nothing to do with Abraham's style, he's just not that good and got exposed when he stepped up.

Canelo's reach is just one inch shorter than Pascal's. I think he could make up for his height disadvantage with his counterpunching ability and a good stiff jab. But he has a long way to go before he even thinks about fighting at that weight, it's way too early to speculate on the subject, I'm just saying it's doable.
              Don't get me wrong, Canelo vs Froch, Kessler, Bute, all sound interesting. But in the end of those fights if he loses them uncompetitively, you'll be hearing from his fanbase[me included] "Canelo is too small for 168", and it wouldn't be a lie, or a bad excuse. I won't mention Ward or Dirrell because those are fights I think Canelo loses handily, too big, too good, too fast.

Canelo vs Chavez Jr and Pavlik are the only two fights at 168 I would be confident in Canelo, because he probably has the better style.

I don't think those fights will happen though. Realistic fights for Canelo right now are Mayweather, Martinez, Trout, Cotto, Lara, Vanes, Kirkland, Angulo..then at 160 Quillin[if he doesn't outgrow it], Macklin, Golovkin, Murray, Proksa, Geale. I would say Chavez Jr but that's a fight that would have to wait 'til they're both at 168.

Comment

UH...NO!

Stop insulting Boxing Legends by trying to compare a bunch of unproven HYPED UP Prospects to them

at least Broner is actually trying to fight the best fighters in his Division though, Canelo have yet to fight anyone good at 154

but I don't think neither will ever come close to Duran or Ray Leonard status as a fighter but both can become stars and make a lot of money in boxing because after Pacquiao and Mayweather is done the networks will be looking to Promote and Hype the next big thing and clearly they are the ones being pushed the most as the next big things in boxing

I think Broner has the TALENT to live up to the expectations...I am not sure that Canelo does though until he fights The Best of The Best at 154

Comment

They are 19 pounds apart and Canelo is younger than Broner. If Broner wants to give Canelo 19 pounds he will get KOed quickly.

Comment

I was ready to post how Broner is no Duran and Alvarez is no Leonard, and then the TS threw me for a loop by comparing the small guy to the big guy and the big guy to the small guy. Now I'm left rambling like an idiot, thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
                      ^ this

Comment

Working...
                      X