No announcement yet.

left hook/wrist problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left hook/wrist problems

hey y'all. only been boxing 3 months. im old for a beginner (24) but am in really good shape, so im basically just working on gettin my technique sharp before I start competing, though it might be another 3 or 4 months before I am ready. my legs are pretty good.

so my 1 and 2 are decent and getting better all the time, but the 3 is killing me. i seem to have injured my wrist from throwing "slapping" left hooks at the heavy bag. I have a competitive spirit so in training next to pros and golden gloves champions, i guess i got carried away and overdid it.

today i was doing some mit work in the ring and i was wincing every time I threw the left until finally my trainer said, you're done. work the double end bag for 3 rounds, no heavy bag today, then go home and ice that wrist. its frustrating cause I sparred for the first time Friday and felt great afterwards and now I feel I may need to take some time off from certain aspects of training and I feel like I'm back to square one.

Anyway, any advice on how to better protect my wrist and how to develop that short, fast, powerful left hook with pop without hurting the wrist? I use everlast wraps with Ringside IMF 18 oz gloves btw, in case you were wondering. thanks!

Try to develop your left hook on the speed bag and get your trainer to watch you throw it over and over, giving you technique advice

Comment

Hey I had this problem when I started boxing. Try puting some tape over your wraps. Have your tainer show you have to tape you wrist up so that you won't bend you wrist when you throw the hook. It totally helped me out. I still tape to this day.

Take it easy a bit. Try throwing hooks on the speed bag or double end bag but stay off the heavy bag for a week or its going to get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by laurinsane8 View Post
        Hey I had this problem when I started boxing. Try puting some tape over your wraps. Have your tainer show you have to tape you wrist up so that you won't bend you wrist when you throw the hook. It totally helped me out. I still tape to this day.

Take it easy a bit. Try throwing hooks on the speed bag or double end bag but stay off the heavy bag for a week or its going to get worse.
        I cracked my wrist after years of throwing them. You need to protect your wrists. try strengthening them and tape them than use mexican wraps.

Comment

Hey Guys. Thanks so much for the replies, they have helped me. I have been using an ace wrist brace on my off time and icing my wrist (along with everything else, lol) and alternating with hot packs which seems to help.

I did the tape over the wraps thing yesterday and it helped a lot. I am also taking it easy on the mits and cutting out heavy bag for the rest of this week and next week. By then I should be good as new.

I am also going to look into using epson salt for my joint pain and aches. I am going to boil water, dump in the epson salt and then soak a towel in the salty water before applying the towel to my aches. Hopefully that will help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
            hey y'all. only been boxing 3 months. im old for a beginner (24) but am in really good shape, so im basically just working on gettin my technique sharp before I start competing, though it might be another 3 or 4 months before I am ready. my legs are pretty good.

so my 1 and 2 are decent and getting better all the time, but the 3 is killing me. i seem to have injured my wrist from throwing "slapping" left hooks at the heavy bag.
            I think you should rest your wrist for a bit or wear tape around it to keep it strong, and make sure you throw your hooks palm down. Should be alright after a while!

Comment

same thing happ with me i been boxing for 2 1/2 months now. it happ from rocking the the bag if u wanna be a k0 puncher keep it up the pain ill go away . i couldnt even do a push up let alone punch a bag but i faught threw it . dont trying resting ur hand it aint gonna work just tighten ur wrist and dont listen to idiots who tell u to gentle hit the bag. if u wanna become a ko puncher hit the bag harder.

Comment

Stop wanking.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
                  Stop wanking.
                  Its his left hook you fool.

Comment

Working...
                  X