Marvin Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvin Johnson

Marvin Johnson....Hall of Fame worthy?

Olympic medalist and three time light heavyweight champ, I say yes.

Comment

Probably a little short! When he stepped up he got beat other than Galindez!!
      Against Saad and Mustafa sp) he got beat plus he was stopped about 6 times, I think! Losses don't bother me but getting stopped can be a concern as to who and when your stopped. Passed all his early tests and did come to fight. I had Saad in my gym for one of his bouts against Marvin, I think Saad stopped him then. The H of F has changed through the years and I think its become an appreciation for and a high regarded praise for a boxers efforts rather than acknowldeging a certain talent level. Thats OK by me, I think a mans efforts need to be appreciated because the higher talent level is often God given. Now one has a magic wand over genetics, so an individual who demonstrates the WILL to win and persevere when facing greater odds to be defeated should be acknowledged. Would of Could of Should of and if and because don't belong in sports but the WAY a fighter is defeated doesn't make him a Loser in boxing. I personally know an ex fighter whose record was 75-75-8 if you ever had the opportunity to meet this man theres no way in the world you'd think he was a loser, he had limited talents yes, he also had the WILL to win and he never ducked out! Ray.
      Last edited by Ray Corso; 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

If you could only turn back the clock, Wouldn't it be great anticipating an upcoming Saad/ Johnson rumble!!

Or Bobby Chacon vs anyone!

Comment

One of my favorite fighters from that era. Usually in great fights and he always brought it to whoever he was in with. Not a hall of famer, but he'd be very tough to beat for anyone at 175 if he were in his prime now.

Comment

no no even close

Comment

A super exciting and very good fighter who was a big part of a very special era of 175lbers....but not HOF worthy. KOd by the best fighters he fought and I believe only had one successful defense of those three titles he had.

Comment

I stand alone here I guess(which is cool). I still stand by it. Marvin Johnson fought in a golden era of the light heavyweight division. He may not have won as much as most hall of fame fighters might of but he was a very exciting fighter and gave us some classic wars. Many thought his second bout with Saad Muhammad should have been the fight of the year. But it doesn't matter what we think as far as the HOF goes.
                I just think a HOF that has Barry McGuigan and Danny Lopez could have a Marvin Johnson in it as well. But then again I could find dozens of fighters to put in it if I did have a say in it.

And before another debate starts, I liked McGuigan and Lopez as well and enjoyed their careers as they happened too.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  I stand alone here I guess(which is cool). I still stand by it. Marvin Johnson fought in a golden era of the light heavyweight division. He may not have won as much as most hall of fame fighters might of but he was a very exciting fighter and gave us some classic wars. Many thought his second bout with Saad Muhammad should have been the fight of the year. But it doesn't matter what we think as far as the HOF goes.
                  I just think a HOF that has Barry McGuigan and Danny Lopez could have a Marvin Johnson in it as well. But then again I could find dozens of fighters to put in it if I did have a say in it.

And before another debate starts, I liked McGuigan and Lopez as well and enjoyed their careers as they happened too.
                  T....

I feel like the Hall should have some kind of separate wing devoted to guys like Marvin, Gatti, Little Red, etc.....a place to honor guys who were so damn compelling and gave great moments to the sport, but weren't actually great fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    T....

I feel like the Hall should have some kind of separate wing devoted to guys like Marvin, Gatti, Little Red, etc.....a place to honor guys who were so damn compelling and gave great moments to the sport, but weren't actually great fighters.
                    I agree!! The Hall does seem to honor fighters that were very popular on occasion but not always the ones that made a career of giving us the great bouts.
                    Last edited by TBear; 11-02-2012, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X