Collapse
No announcement yet.

GREATS Who Had Phenomenal REACH

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK,.... nobody cares about the prize eh ????..... well I might just damn well buy all of you a prize (except for you know who), how do ya'll like them apples huh (or maybe a beer). ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is who we have so far colected -- Sonny Liston 6 ft 1 with 7 foot reach (11 inches* more than his height) ---- Les DARCY 5 ft 7 with 6 ft 2 reach (7 inches*) ---------- MARVELLOUS 5 ft 9 with 6 ft 3 reach (6 inches*) --- Shane Mosley 5 ft 9 with 6 ft 3 reach (6 inches*) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Names here that still do not have statistics posted yet are ;- Langford (virtually same as Darcy's), Barbados Joe Wallcott, Tommy Hearns, Carlos Monzon,..... Lopez ????. which one ??? and Segura ?, I don't think I know him. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can tell you there are other greats still to mention who had arms like an Orang-Utan's........ So sorry Rory,... not end of thread, it's not a competition. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Any body got any technical things about the advantages of such reach,..... and does it necessarily mean they should have a killer punch, but most of them are true dynamite hitters,..... am I on to something, or is it already common knowledge ??..

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      I don't want to be a nuisance, but I'm not good with inches, I can only think in figures like 6 ft 7 with 6 ft 2 reach,...... do you know which fighter fits those measurements ???. ----------------- Maths is not my strong point,... I've worked out that 6 ft 2 equals 74 inches, but I like things as easy as possible......... You could be the winner of a prize if you get it.
      Mosley: 5 foot 9 in height, 6 foot 2 reach.

Liston: 6 foot 1 in height, 7 foot reach.

Julius Long: 7 foot 1 in height, 7 foot 6 reach.

Liston definitely takes the prize.

Comment

I don't want to be a nuisance, but I'm not good with inches, I can only think in figures like 6 ft 7 with 6 ft 2 reach,...... do you know which fighter fits those measurements ???. ----------------- Maths is not my strong point,... I've worked out that 6 ft 2 equals 74 inches, but I like things as easy as possible......... You could be the winner of a prize if you get it.
        Julius Long eh... yeah not eligible, sounds to me like he needed a 150 inch reach.

Comment

OK,.... nobody cares about the prize eh ????..... well I might just damn well buy all of you a prize (except for you know who), how do ya'll like them apples huh (or maybe a beer). ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is who we have so far colected -- Sonny Liston 6 ft 1 with 7 foot reach (11 inches* more than his height) ---- Les DARCY 5 ft 7 with 6 ft 2 reach (7 inches*) ---------- MARVELLOUS 5 ft 9 with 6 ft 3 reach (6 inches*) --- Shane Mosley 5 ft 9 with 6 ft 3 reach (6 inches*) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Names here that still do not have statistics posted yet are ;- Langford (virtually same as Darcy's), Barbados Joe Wallcott, Tommy Hearns, Carlos Monzon,..... Lopez ????. which one ??? and Segura ?, I don't think I know him. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can tell you there are other greats still to mention who had arms like an Orang-Utan's........ So sorry Rory,... not end of thread, it's not a competition. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Any body got any technical things about the advantages of such reach,..... and does it necessarily mean they should have a killer punch, but most of them are true dynamite hitters,..... am I on to something, or is it already common knowledge ??..
          Common knowledge maybe, these fighters knew how to make leverage work to their advantage when punching. Think Hearns.

Then again, fighters with a short reach can be tremendous punchers too. Mike Tyson's reach was about 5 foot 11. Hatton has very short arms I think and he was a good bodypuncher. Marciano and Tua both had short reaches and incredible power.

Comment

Panama Al Brown - Bantamweight

Height: 5'11''
            Reach: 76''

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post

Haha great suggestion, his arms are almost down to his knees. Skinny guy, 5'11" and bantamweight? Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                Common knowledge maybe, these fighters knew how to make leverage work to their advantage when punching. Think Hearns.

Then again, fighters with a short reach can be tremendous punchers too. Mike Tyson's reach was about 5 foot 11. Hatton has very short arms I think and he was a good bodypuncher. Marciano and Tua both had short reaches and incredible power.
                Very true my friend, I think for every Liston or Les there are probably dozens of fighters with amazing reach who couldn't hit a hole through a marshmallow.... as Marciano showed it is how a guy puts his whole weight into a punch,.... but I suspect there is different techniques into hitting with power for the long reach boys. Hearns hit like he had a lead ball on the end of a chain type blow, whereas Rocky's couldn't work like that, Marciano compensated by using very short punches, sort of like a hydraulic piston.

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post

Panama Al Brown is one I expected to get from someone,.. lets see, that's 5 ft 11 with a 6 ft 4 reach (5 inches)................ time for RULE #2. Minimum required reach differential... at least 3 inches longer than fighters height.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather- ht: 5'8" reach: 72"
                    Marco A Barrera- ht: 5'6" reach: 70"

Comment

Panama Al Brown is one I expected to get from someone,.. lets see, that's 5 ft 11 with a 6 ft 4 reach (5 inches)................ time for RULE #2. Minimum required reach differential... at least 3 inches longer than fighters height.
                      Thomas Hearns - 6 ft 1 with 6 ft 6 reach (5 inches*), --- Carlos Monzon - 5 ft 11 and a half inches with 6 ft 4 reach (4 and a half inches*) --- Sam Langford - 5 ft 6 and a half with 6 ft reach (5 and a half inches) ---- Barbados Joe Walcott 5 ft 1 and a half inches with 5 ft 5 reach (3 and a half inches*)..... and there are still some guys missing.

Comment

Working...
                      X