Sparring: Ettiquette & Glove Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring: Ettiquette & Glove Weight

Feel free to address the glove issue or ettiquette issue or both:

I use Ringside IMF 18 oz to spar which offer great hand protection (I'm a guitarist). Good for building hand speed and in my gym we spar in-house with 18s. I may start sparring in other gyms and I know the norm is 16 oz. Would you guys recommend buying another pair of gloves for sparring other guys from other gyms? If so I am undecided between the Grant training gloves and the IMF's.... I like both, but Ringside is cheaper. Your thoughts?

I also am a personal trainer in a gym. it is not a boxing gym, but it has an everlast 17' ring, heavy bags and a speed bag. Not great facilities, but I use the ring to do some shadow boxing and footwork drills on occassion. Coincidentilly, one of the other personal trainers is a female pro boxer who uses the gym to train a guy who wants to fight in the amateurs at 152. she's had him for almost a year and his first fight will be in Sept. Neither has seen me box yet, but I watch them train. His footwork is bad and he drops his hands when he throws, he isn't too fast and, perhaps do to the fact that he does most of his sparring with a lightweight girl, he looks like he hits real soft.

I offered my sparring services and they seemed interested. i suggested 3-5 rounds with 18 ozs since I am bigger (currently 174 lbs aiming to fight 165). she pretty much laughed at me and said, we like to go 10-12 rounds with 14oz gloves. thats ridiculous. its obviously because hes used to weak sparring. now i feel insulted. I usually carry weaker opponents in sparring (as better guys in my gym would do with me) and use those opportunities to work on new things, but now I feel inclined to use 14s and blast this kid out. Perhaps it would be good for him since he plans on fighting a club event anyway. Your thoughts?!?

I dunno about the gloves, I pretty much use whatever is in front of me in the gym at the time, same with headgear.

as far as the sparring goes the kid hasnt done anything to you so why give him a flogging? Why would you want to spar him anyway? I try to avoid sparring with anyone not as good as myself because I dont learn much, to me the only way to become better is to spar with guys better than me, someone who can punish me for my mistakes. This is how to get better. If you are in with something not so good you might just learn to repeat your mistakes.

The exception is sparring with someone very good in a lighter division who is really fast (without me punching at full strength of course), this develops reflexes.

Comment

Some real sparring might not be such a bad idea, if he's got a fight coming. Seriously, otherwise he might be in for a painful surprise. We use 14oz aswell for sparring, btw

Comment

You probably do want to have 16oz gloves.Ive heard the grant gloves are great but arnt very durable. I have these, and they are great so far.

Comment

http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...ig-gloves.html

Comment

As far as gloves, I use 16oz no matter what gym I'm in. It's OK to have a sparring partner below you because you can work on some things. But don't rely on that for your sparring. Always try to go for better fighters.

I hated fighitng the people below me because it was too easy. Being a girl it was tough to find sparring partners so I finally convinced them to put me in with the guys. I improved greatly by fighting with people at my level and higher.

10-12 rounds of sparring won't do you much good unless your training for a fight that's going to take you that long. The most I ever did in a row was 6-7.

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
              Feel free to address the glove issue or ettiquette issue or both:

I use Ringside IMF 18 oz to spar which offer great hand protection (I'm a guitarist). Good for building hand speed and in my gym we spar in-house with 18s. I may start sparring in other gyms and I know the norm is 16 oz. Would you guys recommend buying another pair of gloves for sparring other guys from other gyms? If so I am undecided between the Grant training gloves and the IMF's.... I like both, but Ringside is cheaper. Your thoughts?

I also am a personal trainer in a gym. it is not a boxing gym, but it has an everlast 17' ring, heavy bags and a speed bag. Not great facilities, but I use the ring to do some shadow boxing and footwork drills on occassion. Coincidentilly, one of the other personal trainers is a female pro boxer who uses the gym to train a guy who wants to fight in the amateurs at 152. she's had him for almost a year and his first fight will be in Sept. Neither has seen me box yet, but I watch them train. His footwork is bad and he drops his hands when he throws, he isn't too fast and, perhaps do to the fact that he does most of his sparring with a lightweight girl, he looks like he hits real soft.

I offered my sparring services and they seemed interested. i suggested 3-5 rounds with 18 ozs since I am bigger (currently 174 lbs aiming to fight 165). she pretty much laughed at me and said, we like to go 10-12 rounds with 14oz gloves. thats ridiculous. its obviously because hes used to weak sparring. now i feel insulted. I usually carry weaker opponents in sparring (as better guys in my gym would do with me) and use those opportunities to work on new things, but now I feel inclined to use 14s and blast this kid out. Perhaps it would be good for him since he plans on fighting a club event anyway. Your thoughts?!?
              by some 14's and knock that mother****er out!!!!

nah lol but seriously spar the kid and give him a bit of a wake up call, dont hurt him badly but just up it a lil bit and give him something to think about, it would be more cruel to let the kid have a fight and get a nasty shock and be embarassed
              Last edited by aussieboxer2320; 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X