No announcement yet.

number of weight reps for bulking up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of weight reps for bulking up

so how many reps would you say is the best?

Heard david haye does 6x3reps with heavy weights.

3-6 reps builds strenght and not size. If you want to build size whilst maintaining decent strength i'd say, go for 8-12 reps.

Comment

Originally posted by ItalianDragon View Post
      so how many reps would you say is the best?

Heard david haye does 6x3reps with heavy weights.
      haye doesnt train to bulk up man. ffs i heard a million interviews with him talking about fighting at HW, he always says he trains for performance and not weight. and thats cuz hes a smart man, if your a boxer you should never bulk up. if your not a boxer, save your questions for a bodybuilder forum..

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
        haye doesnt train to bulk up man. ffs i heard a million interviews with him talking about fighting at HW, he always says he trains for performance and not weight. and thats cuz hes a smart man, if your a boxer you should never bulk up. if your not a boxer, save your questions for a bodybuilder forum..
        Above is right, emphasis should be on training for perfrmance in our chosen sport, however depending on what you want to do (i.e. go up weight categories, have more confidence, look better, etc) bulking up may be a good idea, but its a personal thing. I was a super skinny ectomorph and turned to weights and found it was the right thing for me.
        I found lifting 3-4x8 reps and then pyramiding down added mass quite quickly. I'm a big fan of supersets also.
        You should be aware that your body type (ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph) will play a factor and that diet is also supremely important. I suggest you go to a gym and talk to a pt instructor as this will be better than any information that you will glean from any internet forum. Also you might want to talk to your boxing coach.
        Good luck,

Comment

5 - 8 reps for growth
          3 -5 reps for strength
          10 - 12 reps for endurance

Comment

Originally posted by mightymouse2k View Post
            Above is right, emphasis should be on training for perfrmance in our chosen sport, however depending on what you want to do (i.e. go up weight categories, have more confidence, look better, etc) bulking up may be a good idea, but its a personal thing. I was a super skinny ectomorph and turned to weights and found it was the right thing for me.
            I found lifting 3-4x8 reps and then pyramiding down added mass quite quickly. I'm a big fan of supersets also.
            You should be aware that your body type (ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph) will play a factor and that diet is also supremely important. I suggest you go to a gym and talk to a pt instructor as this will be better than any information that you will glean from any internet forum. Also you might want to talk to your boxing coach.
            Good luck,
            If you want to gain strength and size focus on heavy compund movements and train to failure. Diet also plays a huge role. Your not going to gain weight if you dont eat enough!

Comment

for me how i gained strength is to put more weight on and less reps

do some thing like 4 - 6 reps 3 sets

and also take down recovery time as well because its also good to excerise on used muscles feel the burn better then

Comment

Why are you worried about Rep ranges when "bulking"? You should be more concerned about what and how much you should be eating

Comment

Originally posted by tbradf11 View Post
                  5 - 8 reps for growth
                  3 -5 reps for strength
                  10 - 12 reps for endurance
                  thats probably the simplest and best way of putting it - not alot of boxers use weights but those that do concentrate on using the weights for explosive power or for strength.

i know that haye is one of those guys who is gentically gifted (ala rjj) and he takes his training very seriously so i dont think it would be a wise to copy his regime

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
                    Why are you worried about Rep ranges when "bulking"? You should be more concerned about what and how much you should be eating
                    Listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about.

The fact is doesnt really matter if you are doing 5 reps or 12 reps to bulk you need to eat over maintenance level. For most it is not the amount of reps you are doing that is limiting your growth, it is inconsistency, expecting too much too soon. You eat right, train hard with enough rest, and are able to gradually lift more and more you will gain, regardless of reps (within 5-12 rep range at least)

Too many people new to weight training obsess over little things like bicep peaks and isolation movements, or special supplements when all they need to be doing is basic compound lifts, eating well with sufficient protein (about 1gm per pound you weigh), carbs and fat, resting and sticking to it.

The info is out there, I wish it was when I started training.

Comment

Working...
                    X