Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should fighters on the comeback trail be more active?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should fighters on the comeback trail be more active?

I'm thinking about guys like Amir Khan right now.

So he got sparked out by Garcia, I understand he needs to find a new trainer and recover etc. Then he fights some chump, Molina.

Now after that, wouldn't it be best to fight 2-3 quick turnover fights, maybe every 8 weeks or so, spending a lot of time with Hunter, working on things etc.

Instead he fights one bum and takes 6 months off.

Because its cherrypick time. They are going to play his career like chess being sure to match him up properly. Garcia was not supposed to beat him so now they have to make sure they choose a proper victim(They have to find someone just good enough so that you wont cringe when you see his name on khans record while still being a very beatable opponent for khan so that they can say "hes back" afterward). Ortiz did the same thing with lopez only it backfired. Its one of the problems I have with boxing now. Most matches are chosen because the result is heavily implied(think of it this way, how often do you think to yourself "I have no idea whose going to win this match"). Its why I give credit to the super middleweight tournament for breaking stride.
    Last edited by Shogunofharlem1; 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      I'm thinking about guys like Amir Khan right now.

So he got sparked out by Garcia, I understand he needs to find a new trainer and recover etc. Then he fights some chump, Molina.

Now after that, wouldn't it be best to fight 2-3 quick turnover fights, maybe every 8 weeks or so, spending a lot of time with Hunter, working on things etc.

Instead he fights one bum and takes 6 months off.
      Yeah they should, in Khan's case I doubt it makes any difference, he's stubborn, still thinks he can overwhelm jus' about anybody with his speed, he cites his speed and power for everything "I dun think he can handle mah speed and pawoh". Maidana in only one fight showed much greater improvement with Garcia, showing a good jab, better defense, throwing shorter combinations, knowing when to tie up. He came with the right mind set, Khan's too big headed. Molina rocked Khan plenty, GBP should give up, stick a fork in him.

Comment

basically all fighters should be more active imo. when you are on the comeback trail i think it depends. if you are boxing easy opponents you should fight more often, if not it might be good to take it a bit slow and give yourself plenty of time between fights to work on the flaws that caused you to lose in the first place.

Comment

Khan's been in a lot of hard fights and taken some damage might be good for him to be less active in the ring for a while

I would rather see him spend time with Hunter on his skill work

Comment

Working...
          X