Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins using Kelly Pavlik as a measuring stick against Chad Dawson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bernard Hopkins using Kelly Pavlik as a measuring stick against Chad Dawson?

In recent interviews that I have seen of Hopkins on the topic of fighting Dawson, he sorta sounds like "I beat Pavlik, a 26 year old young lion, I can beat Dawson like that too"
    Pavlik is the Middleweight Champion of the world, Chad Dawson is the light heavyweight Champion of the world. Is it right for Hopkins to say he can beat Dawson whilst using Pavlik to actually compare how he would do against Dawson? If Pavlik fought Dawson at 170, would Dawson beat him up worse than Hopkins did?

Hopkins has nothing to prove and has a lot of food in his plate, has a busy schedule, is an executive at Golden Boy Promotions, and color commentator for ESPN. Calzaghe retired and that's the fight i wanted to see(Hop vs Cal II) now the only fight that makes sense is Dawson. If not then, Bernard Hopkins my man, just retire you're already a legend.

B-Hop's too smart for that

he's simply saying he won't recieve any legacy boost from a Chad Dawson fight that he didn't already recieve from beating Kelly Pavlik

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post

he's simply saying he won't recieve any legacy boost from a Chad Dawson fight that he didn't already recieve from beating Kelly Pavlik
      I think we can compare legacy to that quote "you can never have too much money".

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post

I agree wit this, but I still wanna see the fight. Dawson won't fight Glen again, but he'd fight Bhop. I want 1 of those 2 to kick his ****in ass.

Comment

Originally posted by kev183 View Post
          In recent interviews that I have seen of Hopkins on the topic of fighting Dawson, he sorta sounds like "I beat Pavlik, a 26 year old young lion, I can beat Dawson like that too"
          Pavlik is the Middleweight Champion of the world, Chad Dawson is the light heavyweight Champion of the world. Is it right for Hopkins to say he can beat Dawson whilst using Pavlik to actually compare how he would do against Dawson? If Pavlik fought Dawson at 170, would Dawson beat him up worse than Hopkins did?

Hopkins has nothing to prove and has a lot of food in his plate, has a busy schedule, is an executive at Golden Boy Promotions, and color commentator for ESPN. Calzaghe retired and that's the fight i wanted to see(Hop vs Cal II) now the only fight that makes sense is Dawson. If not then, Bernard Hopkins my man, just retire you're already a legend.
          its obvious he wants nothing to do w/ dawson... he probably will retire

Comment

I think if B-Hop does decide to take on Dawson, it'll be quite different from the Pavlik fight. For one thing, Dawson's black, which was B-hop's whole premise for telling Pavlik that he should fight more like a "black fighter." Don't get me wrong, i like Pavlik. I'm just goin off of what Hopkins was talkin bout.

Dawson is heavier and has more dimensions than Pavlik; and to top it off Dawson 's a southpaw. Chad's aiite, but i find PW more entertaining to watch.

I think it'll be more competitive for Hopkins if they fought. I think they should; regardless if B-hop wins or loses, it'll be a good fight for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
              its obvious he wants nothing to do w/ dawson... he probably will retire
              I'm okay if he retires, but i'm not okay with him doing the Joe Calzaghe "I know I can beat him so I won't fight him"

Comment

nah, he was basically saying he doesn't need to fight any young hungry 26 years olds anymore because he just did that in Pavlik. He didn't say he fights like pavlik or anything like that. He also said it wouldn't be good for the sport, for Hopkins to continue to beat younger, rising stars, at his advanced age of 44, which I agree it's actually getting quite embarrassing all these young guys getting schooled by the old vets.

In addition he made other valid points, one is it adds nothing to hopkins legacy and does not motivate him, and two economically speaking dawson doesn't bring anything to the table, he's a guy that was brought up on Showtime which has a small audience, he's never been on a PPV before and he really doesn't have much of a fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
                  I think if B-Hop does decide to take on Dawson, it'll be quite different from the Pavlik fight. For one thing, Dawson's black, which was B-hop's whole premise for telling Pavlik that he should fight more like a "black fighter." Don't get me wrong, i like Pavlik. I'm just goin off of what Hopkins was talkin bout.

Dawson is heavier and has more dimensions than Pavlik; and to top it off Dawson 's a southpaw. Chad's aiite, but i find PW more entertaining to watch.

I think it'll be more competitive for Hopkins if they fought. I think they should; regardless if B-hop wins or loses, it'll be a good fight for both of them.

Yeah exactly, I don't even really know who would win that's why it would be a good fight. Hopkins says he can beat him and destroy his career but Dawson is no Middleweight coming up at a catchweight of 170, he is a natural 175 pounder.

Comment

Originally posted by kev183 View Post
                    Yeah exactly, I don't even really know who would win that's why it would be a good fight. Hopkins says he can beat him and destroy his career but Dawson is no Middleweight coming up at a catchweight of 170, he is a natural 175 pounder.
                    So was Tarver.

Let's not forget how Dawson looked two fights ago against an old Glen Johnson. He nearly lost that fight (he did lose on many peoples scorecards).

Personally I think Dawson is a bit overrated on boxingscene. He's a talented YOUNG fighter, but he's not great (yet) and he has a lot to learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X