Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Punch/es Was James Toney Open For?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Punch/es Was James Toney Open For?

I'm trying to do a little research here

He always left his arms exposed

Comment

he rolled right hands as well as anybody who has ever rolled them. i'll go with the left hook. he was a great defensive fighter and counterpuncher. he wasn't very often open for much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        he rolled right hands as well as anybody who has ever rolled them. i'll go with the left hook. he was a great defensive fighter and counterpuncher. he wasn't very often open for much of anything.
        I wouldn't even say left hook because his right was always up to protect. How would you feel if I said he was more likely open to the right to the left side of his body?

Comment

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
          I wouldn't even say left hook because his right was always up to protect. How would you feel if I said he was more likely open to the right to the left side of his body?
          I was thinking that.

But saying Toney was open to any punch just doesn't feel right.

Comment

left hooks to the middle of his chest. hitting a few on a guys heart will do crazy things to the stricken fighter. a fight full of shots to his chest would have also slowed down his punching.

touching right hands to the body work too, it just always seemed hard to get much power into the shots though......Rockin'

Comment

Roy Jones had success with the left hook against Toney but he succeded where many others failed.
              Last edited by TBear; 11-19-2012, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Every punch just not one at a time.. Has to be in bunches and to do that you hand to make him start off or feint him into throwing or almost throwing the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                  I'm trying to do a little research here
                  I don't think he was "open" for anything. He could be hit but he didn't leave any openings that would make it a sure thing or easy.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    I don't think he was "open" for anything. He could be hit but he didn't leave any openings that would make it a sure thing or easy.
                    yeah he didnt have any punches he was vulnerable to, you had to work to create openings. toney was way too smart and skilled to simply leave himself open for anything. like rockin' said going for his chest would be the best move for the simple reason that its a big target and less vulnerable to punches than other bodyparts hense less protected by a msart fighter like toney.

Comment

Working...
                    X