VIDEO: Mini Tutorials

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO: Mini Tutorials

1. The Check Hook -

The check hook is all about timing. While it can be thrown against a right hand, I personally find it most effective against a left. The most important aspect of the check hook is not getting hit yourself. The first step is using your right hand stuff, block, or parry any incoming left hands. In the above example I used my right hand to parry his jab.

The leap is something you need to practice. it is not a wild or off balance leap, it is a well practiced, repeated maneuver, and is less of a leap that it appears to be.

Step 1. Step forward and to the side with your left foot like you are going to throw a body shot.

Step 2. Allow your forward momentum to carry your body weight over your left leg.

Step 3. Push off with your left leg and uncoil your left hook. It should feel like a normal left hook, except that you are preserving your forward momentum.

Step 4. You should now have both feet off the ground, and be moving forward. As soon as your feet touch the ground, push off with your back foot, an pivot around your front foot and create distance.

2. Directing Traffic -

This is one is often hard for beginners to come to grips with. You sacrifice a punching opportunity to maneuver your opponent, and give yourself a safe route for escape.

It is a very simple technique. Throw a soft hook, wait for contact, and push. The objective is to place your opponent off balance, while also giving yourself something to push off of to aide your escape.

It is important that it appears to be a punch as pushing is illegal, and you will be warned if you are seen to be blatantly pushing your opponent off balance.

Comment

lol

are u kidding

Comment

3. Lateral Movement after Combinations.

This is a big one. Ideally every combination you throw should end with either a step or a pivot to the side.

The purpose is to place your opponent in a position where they either cannot punch, or must be off balance to punch. This gives you opportunities to score follow up shots as they lunge at you.

In the above example I threw a Straight right, left uppercut combo and pivoted to my left. I stepped back and came back in with another right hand lead as he came forward at me with his feet crossed up.

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
          lol

are u kidding
          Totally... Believe it or not, things like this help people that are trying to learn new skills.

Comment

4. The shoulder roll in action-

This is not so much a tutorial as it is an example for people who have seen my tutorial on the philly shell style defense.

Comment

First of all with your hook video, you get away with stuff like that against green fighters. You come in like that against a fighter who has some skill, you will get dropped with a lead right quickly. You stuck your chin out, pushed your right and out(Looking to get countered by a left hook yourself), and threw a weak left hook that was all arm punch.

Yet again, in directing traffic that little weak right you threw did nothing. Secondly, if he had any skill, that right hook he threw after you dropped your left would of floored you.

As for the other videos, lol. You shouldn't even be bothering with that shoulder roll ****, specially in ams. Keep doing that when you hit open class and actually fight in a real tournament, you'll get a standing 8 quick.

You have alot of work to do, no clue why you are handing out advice.

Good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
                First of all with your hook video, you get away with stuff like that against green fighters. You come in like that against a fighter who has some skill, you will get dropped with a lead right quickly. You stuck your chin out, pushed your right and out(Looking to get countered by a left hook yourself), and threw a weak left hook that was all arm punch.

Yet again, in directing traffic that little weak right you threw did nothing. Secondly, if he had any skill, that right hook he threw after you dropped your left would of floored you.

As for the other videos, lol. You shouldn't even be bothering with that shoulder roll ****, specially in ams. Keep doing that when you hit open class and actually fight in a real tournament, you'll get a standing 8 quick.

You have alot of work to do, no clue why you are handing out advice.

Good day.
                Let me clarify for you since you obviously neglected to read the description.

Check Hook:

I threw the check hook as a counter to his jab. I parried his jab to the left side of my head with my right hand. I didn't just stick my right hand out.

Directing Traffic:

You obviously neglected to notice that I was in my philly shell and didn't just "drop my hand" as you seem to think. I was in position to see, and defend any punches he had to offer.

Thank god you pointed out my punches are not hard enough for your liking, that obviously makes all of the techniques I just presented completely invalid. Wait...

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Let me clarify for you since you obviously neglected to read the description.

Check Hook:

I threw the check hook as a counter to his jab. I parried his jab to the left side of my head with my right hand. I didn't just stick my right hand out.

Directing Traffic:

You obviously neglected to notice that I was in my philly shell and didn't just "drop my hand" as you seem to think. I was in position to see, and defend any punches he had to offer.

Thank god you pointed out my punches are not hard enough for your liking, that obviously makes all of the techniques I just presented completely invalid. Wait...

You prarried his jab? Actually, you missed on your 'prarrie'. Secondly, when you block a jab, you shouldn't be moving your hand out even half as far as you did.

Best hope you don't fight someone who has some skill and can hook off a feint, you'll be screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
                    You prarried his jab? Actually, you missed on your 'prarrie'. Secondly, when you block a jab, you shouldn't be moving your hand out even half as far as you did.

Best hope you don't fight someone who has some skill and can hook off a feint, you'll be screwed.
                    No I didn't miss the parry. Watch it again. I catch at the wrist then my gloves slides down his forearm and slips off his elbow. The traditional parrying motion is not ergonomically sound when you are throwing a check hook. When you throw a check hook the parry is different.

Im not going to go into details as they wont make sense without pictures, but the stuff pretty much takes care of hooks off the feint.

I also believe you are confusing catching and parrying.

Comment

Working...
                    X