No announcement yet.

When the best fight the best, losses are inevitable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the best fight the best, losses are inevitable

I think the Super Six has and will continue to demonstrate that. Fans in general are so used to fighters being undefeated now that a single loss automatically means that the losing fighter cannot be any good, even if the opponent is a top class fighter.

I do not think any fighter will go through the tournament undefeated, and that includes Andre Ward. It could be Dirrell, even Green who beats him but I think the chances of him losing atleast once are better than the chances of him going unbeaten.

Everyone will have their weaknesses "exposed" in losses but also their strengths highlighted in victories. Kessler showed he could not adapt against a tricky opponent like Ward, but he could end up looking like an all-time great against Froch. Abraham going into his shell and not doing enough work finally caught up to him but his raw power was evident even in losing.

There is no hand-picking going on, everyone has to fight on the opponent's home ground. Despite controversial circumstances surrounding some fights, this is the way boxing should be. Losing against the best is forgivable, refusing to compete against the best is not.

The winner of the tournament could be anybody at this point.

Dirrell still hasn't been beat in my eyes and I do think he'll go undefeated through the Super 6. Anyway, good thread. It's very likely one of them lose.

Comment

According to Floyd Mayweather, you don't know anything about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
        Dirrell still hasn't been beat in my eyes and I do think he'll go undefeated through the Super 6. Anyway, good thread. It's very likely one of them lose.
        Dirrell is 0-2 you clown.

STFU.

Guzman lover.

Comment

Not losing in one's eyes is not quite the same as going unbeaten though. Officially Dirrell has a loss and Froch has a win (two points). This is all a part of the tournament, you go to the opponent's home ground and may possibly catch a loss due to bad judging. This has always been a problem with making fights, for example with Jones-Michalczewski. On paper Jones should win but who knows if he fought in Germany. In Super Six, the fighters are willing to take that risk and we should respect them for it.

Comment

I can remember saying to people at the start of this tournament that if someone went through undefeated it'd be a hell of an achievment. I think Ward will do it, though. Don't see anyone in the tourny that can beat him.

Comment

And I'm sorry, I have no idea how anyone can say that Dirrell beat Froch. I have genuinely never been to a live fight where the "away" fighter fought so scared. Terrible performance from him, he looked like a different fighter against Abraham.

Comment

Yeah I agree. Be interesting to see if Ward can stay unbeaten.

Comment

Screw what I said. Dirrell aint getting beat!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    I think the Super Six has and will continue to demonstrate that. Fans in general are so used to fighters being undefeated now that a single loss automatically means that the losing fighter cannot be any good, even if the opponent is a top class fighter.

I do not think any fighter will go through the tournament undefeated, and that includes Andre Ward. It could be Dirrell, even Green who beats him but I think the chances of him losing atleast once are better than the chances of him going unbeaten.

Everyone will have their weaknesses "exposed" in losses but also their strengths highlighted in victories. Kessler showed he could not adapt against a tricky opponent like Ward, but he could end up looking like an all-time great against Froch. Abraham going into his shell and not doing enough work finally caught up to him but his raw power was evident even in losing.

There is no hand-picking going on, everyone has to fight on the opponent's home ground. Despite controversial circumstances surrounding some fights, this is the way boxing should be. Losing against the best is forgivable, refusing to compete against the best is not.

The winner of the tournament could be anybody at this point.
                    yep good post, that's how it is.

Much like How Ali had so much trouble with Frazier, but Foreman cleaned house against him.

Styles.

Comment

Working...
                    X