No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto To Take a Few Months Off, Ponder Return

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albeerto View Post
    I think so too. Both are stars in the game & the fight would draw huge numbers. They both dont need to chase belts at this point and it would add another big name to their resume(winner) in their HOF careers.
    They would both make a killing..as far as money. And I think it would be very competitive..but going on the way Marquez just rocked Pac mans world..he would be the clear favorite..if it were to happen I hope they have strict drug testing.

Comment

As a longtime fan of Cotto's, I think he should retire. He's been in wars, he's fought the best, one of the best representatives of the sport. He'll be in the HOF and remembered as one of Puerto Rico's greatest fighters along with being one of this generations best.
      Last edited by RL_GMA; 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
        I hope Cotto just retires. He's no longer mentally focused to be an elite fighter, nor does he possess the physical skills anymore. I hope he makes a good business decision and retires and begins promoting the youth on the island.
        Were have you been the last couple of years? he already been promoting for a while now. his promotional co. along with golden boy have been putting on shows on solo boxeo telefutura for a while now. miguel cotto promotions was the lead promoter for the coto vs trout fight and jayson velez(who cotto promotes) was on the undercard. velez next fight is a title shot vs ponce deleon.
        Last edited by el malo; 12-20-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

He can fight k9 for his belt and retire a champ he's set with money and is the next generation of promoter

Comment

Its hard to tell how much he has left. It really depends on how good Trout ends up being. I can tell u one thing for sure and thats if Cotto had fought Canelo's opposition he would look like a top 5-10 p4p fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by el malo View Post
              Were have you been the last couple of years? he already been promoting for a while now. his promotional co. along with golden boy have been putting on shows on solo boxeo telefutura for a while now. miguel cotto promotions was the lead promoter for the coto vs trout fight and jayson velez(who cotto promotes) was on the undercard. velez next fight is a title shot vs ponce deleon.
              My bad I mean continue instead of begins. I knew he had his promotional company and had a few fighters in it but I would like to see him expand his company to be as big as GBP or Top Rank some day. ODLH has been pretty successful and he should serve as a model to fighters who would like to be successful promoting. He did have help though with Mosley and Hopkins being involved.

Comment

Originally posted by onetwopunch
                Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdudespits

Sometimes I read these forums and wonder if there is anyone out there who really knows what theyre talking about...

If you lose a fight now, you are condemned and deemed irrelevant... Why not give his opponent some credit. Austin Trout fought a great fight. That being said, the fight was extremely competetive. I thought Cotto won every round from 3-7, and there were a bunch of close swing rounds. I think Cottos choice of opponent had more to do with how he looked.... it was a very tough fight. Cotto also has a problem with swelling up. His defense is much better now than it was in the past. Going into this fight Cotto's +- compubox rating at Junior Middlewieght was @ +10... He showed his defense in this fight as well. take a look at all of Cottos postfight interviews Pre-Margarito I, and you will see how unscathed his face seems... every fight after Margarito his face looks dogged up. Mayweather only landed 26% of his punches margarito only land 18% (none of them very clean) Cottos face would tell you otherwise.... it took yuri 1 punch to open a mouse under cottos eye.

truth is Cotto is everything the game needs. Floyds a great fighter, but if he fought Margarito when Cotto did, I have a hard time believeing that he would have been able to survive as long as Miguel did.

All this being said, I think Cotto is still fighting at an elite level, although he may have lost a gear or two. He still has great wins to offer. I just hope someone on his team can guide him in the right direction. He needs a new philosophy in terms of Strength & Conditioning.... his body needs something new... Trainers good, but he could use a new strength coach and a good 10 month layoff. Heal the body, think about where his next campaign should be at.. if 154 a rematch with trout after a couple of tune ups... maybe a bundrage or something.... then a rematch with trout... he was good enough in the first fight for me to believe he could win a rematch and potentially knock trout out with a new strength and conditioning regimen. Hes been doing the same thing for too long...

I like Cotto, but he isnt the same fighter anymore..its sad but true. He went out and fought everyone that no one really wanted to fight. Cotto at 147 was great, at 154..he dont have the same power. At 140-147 he had that Rocky Marciano type power he would hit you all over and break you down, at 154 the guys are much bigger and can take more damage. Cotto's frame is way to small for that weight, and if he isnt willing to dedicate himself to boxing 100%, then he needs to retire. He almost looked like he gave up againts Trout in the later rounds...thats not a good sign.
                He is more effective at 147... but he can still be effective at 154....I dont think questioning his dedication is in order... i think fighters want to win titles in multiple divisions... i dont see him fighting at 154 as him being lazy... he pondered fighting at 160 to try and win the middleweight title... cottos a beast... hes got something left... but retirement is in the near future... not yet. he wont go out like this.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                  My bad I mean continue instead of begins. I knew he had his promotional company and had a few fighters in it but I would like to see him expand his company to be as big as GBP or Top Rank some day. ODLH has been pretty successful and he should serve as a model to fighters who would like to be successful promoting. He did have help though with Mosley and Hopkins being involved.
                  He's on his way having his own company, he definitely can be big in puerto rico.

Comment

Trout was a bad matchup for Miguel. Young, tall, long reach advantage, and hungry. That was the wrong fight to take.

Comment

I certainly think Cotto showed some good defense, movement and willingness to get it done, but Trout was just all wrong for him. Cotto was just also not fast enough to land those left hooks that were so close at connecting. The quickness is going away, where a year or two ago, those left hooks would have landed. It was just an ugly decision to take that fight and I question his advisors who thought so little of Trout. I thought Cotto would win, but I along with others thought Trout had every advantage to win, and honestly, I'm proud that Trout went out there and did his thing.

I lived in Albquerque for seven years, so I have a soft spot, so although I love Cotto, hell, my new puppy might be named Cotto, I did secretly was rooting for Trout to either A). win or B). Look real impressive and get more exposure.

He's humble. They're both great champs I look forward to seeing Trout do bigger and better things

Comment

Working...
                      X