No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward, Goossen Weigh in on Kelly Pavlik Rumors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward, Goossen Weigh in on Kelly Pavlik Rumors

With reports surfacing last weekend that his team had commenced talks to fight Kelly Pavlik in an HBO-televised showdown on Feb. 23, super middleweight king Andre Ward and his promoter Dan Goossen clarified their current position.

“There is some merit to the rumors out there,” Ward (26-0, 14 KOs) said on Twitter Monday afternoon. “But, just a name so far. [In my opinion] far from done until contracts are signed!! I've yet to see one.”

Ward, the reigning BWAA Fighter of the Year, has risen up the pound-for-pound rankings after cleaning out the 168-pound division during his triumphant Super Six run. Aside from decisive wins over Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham, and Carl Froch, he stopped Chad Dawson in September.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Andre Ward vs. Kelly Pavlik > Carl Froch vs. Yusaf Mack
    Andre Ward vs. Kelly Pavlik > Arthur Abraham vs. Mehdi Bouadla
    Andre Ward vs. Kelly Pavlik > Mikkel Kessler vs. Brian Magee
    Andre Ward vs. Kelly Pavlik > Lucian Bute vs. Denis Grachev

Make it happen. With Froch-Bute II slated for around April, you can make Ward vs. the winner of Froch-Bute II right after. This is the best scenario given the current situation.

Comment

Pavlik hasn't fought anyone at world level since the Martinez loss, right? This would be a quantum leap from the fighters he's been warming up against lately.

I think its too early, and I would rather see Kelly fight Froch or Kessler.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
        With reports surfacing last weekend that his team had commenced talks to fight Kelly Pavlik in an HBO-televised showdown on Feb. 23, super middleweight king Andre Ward and his promoter Dan Goossen clarified their current position.

“There is some merit to the rumors out there,” Ward (26-0, 14 KOs) said on Twitter Monday afternoon. “But, just a name so far. [In my opinion] far from done until contracts are signed!! I've yet to see one.”

Ward, the reigning BWAA Fighter of the Year, has risen up the pound-for-pound rankings after cleaning out the 168-pound division during his triumphant Super Six run. Aside from decisive wins over Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham, and Carl Froch, he stopped Chad Dawson in September.
        [Click Here To Read More]
        Why does it have to be an american, he should fight a young unbeaten guy not a blown up middle. Oh well I see years of Goossen just taking the easy route from here on out, like all the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
          Pavlik hasn't fought anyone at world level since the Martinez loss, right? This would be a quantum leap from the fighters he's been warming up against lately.

I think its too early, and I would rather see Kelly fight Froch or Kessler.
          Kessler staying put at 175 now isn't he?

I'd rather see Pavlik fight Bute

Comment

i love ward resume!!!a high quality tune up like pavlik not a bad pick ward,,,after ward beat pavlik lets see whos next!!!

Comment

Sad cuz although I think Ward is a boring fighter and fights to not lose rather than fighting to win.. Pavlick is gna be outclassed and out boxxed all night...

Comment

Ward beats the breaks off Pavlik. There really is nothing left to prove at 168.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Ward should suck it up and fight martinez at 164. 168 is cleaned out and 175 is weak too.

Comment

This is a good stay busy fight for Ward, but there's still Froch rematch, Bute, Dirrel, and JCC jr. Cuz he will move up. I still like the Bute fight because styles make fights and I think Bute could present problems. Ward isn't as big a puncher as Froch so I think Bute can hang in there longer and make it interesting...

Comment

Working...
                    X