Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any idea's how I should train on a heavy bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    The Heavy Bag is one of the most misused equipment in the gym. People want to come in and hit it as hard as they can and that can lead to injury and really mess your hands up.

Best thing to do if you are starting out is think of the heavy bag as a person, an opponent. When you throw punches, slip as if you are sparring or shadow boxing. Use combo's and move your feet properly. Basically use it like you are simulating sparring or fighting.

There's also a ton of different exercises you can use on it, depending on whether you want to increase speed, endurance, power etc..

Just start hitting it with technique and proper movement. Just like if you are sparring.
    YES!!! THIS!!!
    Not just for the sake of messing up your hands, but so many bad habbits are developed on the bag.

Also don't get in the habbit of leaning on the bag when you get tired. I see this alot, if you're not going to work and stay in good form, just cut your round early. Better to walk away and try again later than to reinforce bad habbits.

"I'm fighting on the inside" - no you're not, your using the bag to hold yourself up, Try that against a live opponent and see what happens.

Comment

im no expert, but also pick a spot on the bag, like a certain height a bit above your eye level for you to stare at all the time.

chin down, and dont ever look away from that spot while you bend and turn...this actually helped me a lot when i was in the beginning stages.

Comment

Working...
      X