Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did marvin hagler tighten up in some of his big fights.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did marvin hagler tighten up in some of his big fights.

I guess I am refering to the vito a draw for the title, duran defense and the loss to leonard. Do you people feel like he had the tools to do better in these fights as he did in the hearns fight?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I guess I am refering to the vito a draw for the title, duran defense and the loss to leonard. Do you people feel like he had the tools to do better in these fights as he did in the hearns fight?
    How are those fights comparable to an all-out brawl?

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post

Watching it, I thought Hagler thoroughly outboxed Antuofermo. The draw scorecard was a bad joke to me because I didn't think it was a close fight. In the Leonard fight Hagler was not the same Hagler he was in prime in terms of his reflexes. Combining that with Leonard's speed, which always would have been a Leonard advantage, Hagler looked old, slow, confused at times, and he lost the fight legitimately in my opinion. He also might have been a little tight early in that fight. Leonard has made comments about how Hagler was acting out of character in the ring before the introductions and I noticed that he was when I watched it.

I think in the Duran fight many were expecting Hagler to run right through Duran. Duran's skills prevented that but I thought Duran clearly lost. But the skill of Duran was more of a factor than Hagler tightening up in my opinion.

I personally think it's mostly a matter of styles and Hagler did what he could and needed to do. But in that Leonard fight Hagler did seem tight early.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
        How are those fights comparable to an all-out brawl?

hagler intiated the brawl and was determined to destroy tommy he did not display any tightness at all.

Comment

The draw was the "good ol' boy network" continueing to let Hagler know that he (& Goody) were outsiders (lack of a contract with a "working" promoters) so you wait longer!!!
          ....no one wants to fight Vito, you could get a head butt in the locker room if your not carefull hahahaha!! a dangerous guy to fight!
          Hearns got disrespectfull to Marvin and Marvin was ALL about respect!!
          The Leonard fight to me is a "throw away"! Ray didn't come to fight and I'm one of those that believes he waited for Hagler to slow down and could have and should have fought him years early but thats Leonard a very calculating guy!
          No way Duran was getting stopped that night, and thats the way he fought.
          Thats why the Duran fights after his first with Leonard are throw aways to me. Its not Duran fighting to win its Duran looking for the pay day and the win at all costs is long gone.
          Hagler was a complicated guy, he was aware of his career closing and made sure he wasn't going out on his shield! You rarely saw him take chances like in the Hearns fight, in his younger days you could goat him in!!! Ray

Comment

Hagler fights

Very disappointed in Hagler's performance in all three fights ( Vito, SRl
            and Duran.)

Tiger, Fullmer, Robinson, and maybe Giardello and prime Pender could have
            won all three and at least two.

Middleweight was not SRL or Duran's best weight.

Comment

I would also agree the skill of the other fighters and Hagler being past prime against Leonard had more to do with it. Hagler did seem a little tight early on against Leonard though. And Duran still had some good fights and moments later in his career, that's why the guy's an ATG.

Comment

I'd say he fought out of character in his big fights. He had good footwork and a nice jab that he abandoned in those higher profile fights.

Comment

Working...
                X