Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Video] Me shadow boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great video. I'm going to study it a bit more, I could use some of the stuff you did.

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
      are you a south paw or is the camera flipped?
      Yup, Converted southpaw. Tried it once and sticked with it.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
        Yup, Converted southpaw. Tried it once and sticked with it.
        Why bro? You are obviously talented but why are you shooting yourself in the foot like that?
        Your cross will never be better then decent and you will probably never develop good power in it(cross is supposed to be one of the most important/powerful punch in anyone's arsenal) .
        You will be even more suspect to the right hand do to your right eye being your dominate eye.
        You will not enjoy the advantage of being a southpaw due to not being a lefty while your opponent will have a easier time landing that right hand on you.
        You will never develop the same dexterity in your left hand as a orthodox fighter would due to not using it as frequently as an orthodox fighter.
        Why did your coach even let you stand southpaw?

Comment

Your video was good,
          You showed good shadowboxing.

I have seen right handed southpaws look good while shadowboxing when using their left hand, but when it comes to sparring they barely use their left hand.

How are you going to knock someone out with a power jab?
          Yeah Hagler knocked Hearns out with a right jab/hook/straight punch but that.

Your cross was pretty lazy and you threw it very little as if you weren't comfortable with it.

Guys like ODLH and Barrera developed awesome combination punching to make up for the lack of a powerful cross.
          They fought orthodox as the huge majority of boxers do.
          When they fought southpaws the were usually pwned.
          Examples: ODLH vs Sweet Pea, ODLH vs Pacman, Barrera vs Pacman.
          That is why ODLH avoided Southpaws his whole career except when fighting an old and shot Sweet Pea(which he got humiliated against) or a much smaller Pacman while cashing out on his career.

Thing is.. when you fight as a right handed southpaw, the majority of your opponents will be orthodox fighters.
          The guy only has to neutralize your lead hand while he can use both of his.

A guy like Hagler had an amazing chin to go along with his converted stance and he would switch up his stance all the time.
          Do you have a granite chin?

Look at Victoria Ortiz, that guy is a magnet for that right hand.
          That guy has trained as a converted southpaw since the age of 7 and his left hand is still mediocre and barely any good ( he do have some power in it, that is it)

Face it! you will never fight like Pacman just because you fight southpaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohammedini View Post
            Your video was good,
            You showed good shadowboxing.

I have seen right handed southpaws look good while shadowboxing when using their left hand, but when it comes to sparring they barely use their left hand.

How are you going to knock someone out with a power jab?
            Yeah Hagler knocked Hearns out with a right jab/hook/straight punch but that.

Your cross was pretty lazy and you threw it very little as if you weren't comfortable with it.

Guys like ODLH and Barrera developed awesome combination punching to make up for the lack of a powerful cross.
            They fought orthodox as the huge majority of boxers do.
            When they fought southpaws the were usually pwned.
            Examples: ODLH vs Sweet Pea, ODLH vs Pacman, Barrera vs Pacman.
            That is why ODLH avoided Southpaws his whole career except when fighting an old and shot Sweet Pea(which he got humiliated against) or a much smaller Pacman while cashing out on his career.

Thing is.. when you fight as a right handed southpaw, the majority of your opponents will be orthodox fighters.
            The guy only has to neutralize your lead hand while he can use both of his.

A guy like Hagler had an amazing chin to go along with his converted stance and he would switch up his stance all the time.
            Do you have a granite chin?

Look at Victoria Ortiz, that guy is a magnet for that right hand.
            That guy has trained as a converted southpaw since the age of 7 and his left hand is still mediocre and barely any good ( he do have some power in it, that is it)

Face it! you will never fight like Pacman just because you fight southpaw.

I totally see your point. Basically when I'm orthodox my power punch is my overhand right and when I'm southpaw my right hook is my best punch.

I do throw my left cross pretty often as I realize that I have to really work on it. But you're right I do get hit with straight right hands with the better guys in the gym and when I'm tired but so far I'm still doing pretty good and my coach is all for it. I don't know man maybe I'll try being orthodox again next sparring and i'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

hey bud, you look like a pretty natural, fluid, smooth athlete. You look good

i'm really not an expert, i just love boxing, big fan of the sport.

I'd suggest picking up your feet a little less, pivot that back foot a little more.

But a big thing for me was your hook.

You gotta let that hook out there. That's such an essential weapon. Compared to like... uppercuts which i saw a lot more than the hook, the Hook needs to be thrown out there more. It is such a powerful, powerful weapon. I want to see it more from you!

You are doing a good job, work on those feet, work on that hook, i'd like to see another video keep it up

Comment

I totally see your point. Basically when I'm orthodox my power punch is my overhand right and when I'm southpaw my right hook is my best punch.

I do throw my left cross pretty often as I realize that I have to really work on it. But you're right I do get hit with straight right hands with the better guys in the gym and when I'm tired but so far I'm still doing pretty good and my coach is all for it. I don't know man maybe I'll try being orthodox again next sparring and i'll let you know how it goes.
                whoops i'm blind haha i didn't see that you said your right hook was your best punch. But yeah as far as orthodox vs southpaw, just go with whatever one you're most comfortable with.

But still let's see you throw that money hook, lol

Comment

i looked over your video and saw something that jumped right out at me

your footwork

don't step back and forth, don't step around, don't hop forwards and back

you want to keep one foot on the ground AT ALL TIMES when you move

when you move back you move back with your back foot your front food drags

when you move forward you move forward with your front foot your back foot drags

you don't hop forward and back, you don't step

sorry for the triple post, these are things i missed. but yeah keep up the good work buddy. You're doing well. Just work on those feet

Comment

From southpaw to southpaw i gotta give you props, your technique is pretty much flawless as far as shadowboxing goes.

But if you ever want to make it into boxing you should find your own style, cause you seem to be immitating Pacquiao and that is a great way to get knocked out.

And i just say that cause nowadays i get headaches when i spar some hard rounds, its even worst with guys my size. And i can honestly tell you that i am lucky enough that i never got rocked in my life....so far.

Personally i'm done with boxing, even though i don't really like mma that much anymore since it became a fad it's definitely easier to get into than boxing nowadays, atleast in my part of the world.

Keep practicing friend real fighters will always be humble anyway.
                    Last edited by Equilibrium; 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Either way for 9 months it is really impressive! keep up the good work.
                      My point was just that it is so easy to become a one armed fighter as a convert.
                      Converted Southpaws can't develop their left hand in the same way as a true orthodox.
                      I'm a righty and my favorite punch is my left hook.

Southpaw feels "natural" at the beginning and everybody, I mean almost everybody gets corrected the first week they train to stand as orthodox.
                      Just because it feels "natural" doesn't mean it's right.
                      Look at every street fight video and you see everybody standing southpaw.
                      why? because they feel comfortable.
                      But maybe they are experts and every boxing coach for the last 200 years are wrong .
                      Even a bum on the street can throw a good right hook from the southpaw stance.
                      I mean ofc your left hand is horrible in the beginning, but that is why we use that stance to improve it so that you have 2 hands, not one, in your arsenal.

BTW I found this article yesterday: http://www.expertboxing.com/how-to-b...gs-in-the-back
                      It brings up my points exactly.

BTW, going orthodox in sparring is like starting from the beginning.
                      You can't judge it after one session.
                      But do you notice that you are one armed when you switch?
                      how is your left hook from southpaw and orthodox.
                      How is your jab from orthodox ?

Either way good video, could you upload a video of you sparring sparring or something?
                      You looked really good shadowboxing but are you comfortable to throw the left hand in sparring?

Comment

Working...
                      X