Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not like them ol' dayz, in them ol' dayz boxing was shown live in Times Sqwayer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not like them ol' dayz, in them ol' dayz boxing was shown live in Times Sqwayer

Funny thing.

Those old timers who fap to black and white pictures often like to **** on boxing by pointing out that boxing was shown live in Timer Square back in the old days. That's how big it was back then they say. This is nothing new. The guys who like to dismiss boxing as a dying sport or what not will often point out that big fights used to be shown live in Times Square.

I don't get this. Boxing is still shown in Times Square. Don't they know this? Klitschko fights are frequently shown there, as well as Marquez, Froch and Bute and currently Pac-JMM 4 is being screened there. How come these people can go around saying boxing was huge back then because it was shown in Times Square but the same logic isn't applied today?

It's a constant complaint by these old timers who say things like "The HW champ used to be show fighting live in Times Square, that's how important he was." Well the HW champ does fight live in Times Square but I bet that means nothing to them.

[IMG]http://*********.com/Boxing/jumbotron.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by croz; 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM.

I agree with you on how boxing is bigger globally. But it is actually a fringe sport in the USA.

I attend a very large Uni in the United States as a European international student and nobody in my school know who Wladimir is.
    Nobody. I asked so many about boxing and they admit they do know Tyson and to a extent Mayweather-Pac, but nobody know the heavyweights any more. (not in the states).

Even in the UK, very few people are interested in the Heavyweights from Eastern Europe. Now the good thing is the UK Heavyweight scene has been promoted a lot lately so that might change.

But the HW Division for sure is a dead sport in the United States. Why the hell will HBO reject Wladimir and why the HELL will Wlad fight in Germany now? It's because the Heavyweights flopped in the States.

Comment

If boxing was as popular as it once was the amount of money guys would be making today would be ridiculous, in Europe guys like Pirog are making millions a fight even though all he's beaten was Jacobs lol, meanwhile a guy like Ward is making 1.2 mill for beating a guy like Dawson.

Comment

PPV's and subscription channels hurt boxing. If it was on free tv like a lot of European countries it's popularity would rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          If boxing was as popular as it once was the amount of money guys would be making today would be ridiculous, in Europe guys like Pirog are making millions a fight even though all he's beaten was Jacobs lol, meanwhile a guy like Ward is making 1.2 mill for beating a guy like Dawson.
          You have got to be living under a rock if you think boxing is just as popular as it once was in the United States. Either that or you live your entire live on NSB OR ESB. Come on man, boxing IS NOT like it once was in the States. I mean there shouldn't even be a debate on this.

You wanna talk money? Ok
          During the 90's

Lennox Lewis made 11 million against TOny Tucker. Adjusted for inflation in today's market: 17 million.

Lewis who was a relatively unknown British Heavyweight made the equalivant of 17 million dollars today by fighting Tony Tucker.. This wasn't even a 'big fight'.
          Your 1 million 2 million stats for semi popular fighters is chump change.

The 2nd tier popularity fighters of the 90's HW'S made as much as the 1ST TIER POPULARITY HW'S of today.
          The 1st tier popularity hw's of the 90's (bowe,holyfield,Tyson) made as much as Footballers, NBA Players today.

From 1 to 100, boxing was much better off in the 90's when it comes to salary.

Now from ONE TO TWO. AKA FLOYD/MANNY, today can be comparable. But not from 1 to 100.

In other words the Tony Tuckers and Tyrell Biggs of the 90's made a hell much more than the Alexander Povektin's and Sergio Martinezs of today.
          Last edited by FightScorer; 12-06-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
            You have got to be living under a rock if you think boxing is just as popular as it once was in the United States. Either that or you live your entire live on NSB OR ESB. Come on man, boxing IS NOT like it once was in the States. I mean there shouldn't even be a debate on this.

You wanna talk money? Ok
            During the 90's

Lennox Lewis made 11 million against TOny Tucker. Adjusted for inflation in today's market: 17 million.

Lewis who was a relatively unknown British Heavyweight made the equalivant of 17 million dollars today by fighting Tony Tucker.. This wasn't even a 'big fight'.
            Your 1 million 2 million stats for semi popular fighters is chump change.

The 2nd tier popularity fighters of the 90's HW'S made as much as the 1ST TIER POPULARITY HW'S of today.
            The 1st tier popularity hw's of the 90's (bowe,holyfield,Tyson) made as much as Footballers, NBA Players today.

From 1 to 100, boxing was much better off in the 90's when it comes to salary.

Now from ONE TO TWO. AKA FLOYD/MANNY, today can be comparable. But not from 1 to 100.

In other words the Tony Tuckers and Tyrell Biggs of the 90's made a hell much more than the Alexander Povektin's and Sergio Martinezs of today.

Lewis was paid $7.8 mil and to say it wasn't a big event is a joke. There was 3 title fights on the card, Lewis-Tucker, McClellan-Jackson and Chavez-Alli.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
              Lewis was paid $7.8 mil and to say it wasn't a big event is a joke. There was 3 title fights on the card, Lewis-Tucker, McClellan-Jackson and Chavez-Alli.
              Lewis was paid 10 million. it wasn't a big fight.

NY TIMES

"Lewis vs Tucker, does anyone really care"

" Good records, bad marketing"

" A good fight over shadowed by Tyson-Bowe rumors"

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
                Lewis was paid 10 million. it wasn't a big fight.

NY TIMES

"Lewis vs Tucker, does anyone really care"

" Good records, bad marketing"

" A good fight over shadowed by Tyson-Bowe rumors"
                $7.8 mil

http://articles.philly.com/1993-05-0...ip-tony-tucker

It was a big event with 3 title fights on the card which would obviously draw a lot of PPV.

edit: Camacho was also on the card and Meldric Taylor. That Card was stacked.

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=5061
                Last edited by Jam Jars; 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Sticking to the point. The Times Square reasnoning is often used by old timers to tell us how much boxing has fallen. I think considering Times Square still plays a big roll in boxing they shouldn't use this excuse anymore. Things seem to be the same as they ever were.

As for boxing's popularity falling. I don't believ the desire for boxing has faded, othwer wise Manny and Mayweather wouldn't sell so much. It's more to do with the accessibility given boxing has closed itself off on an unreachable network.

I don't think Wlad and Vitali are as forgotten as people try say. They appear frequently on major american talk shows and used to get pretty high ratings on HBO - 7 million for Lewis, 2.5 million for Arreolla. The Haye-Wlad ratings are all over the place. One source says it did 1 million but I don't believe that. Haye-Wlad was the highest trending topic in the US on the day. It got a **** tonne of buzz the likes I only see Manny or Mayweather getting there. For example Cotto only made it to number 3 on google trends and managed 1.4 million. Wlad-Haye accounted for around HALF of the top US google searches on the day. Scott Christ reported the replay alone did 1.5 million ... so I don't see how the "leaked" 1 million report can be real.

Comment

Working...
                  X