Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Boxer Should Have a Film Made About them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know what fighter would really make a great movie?.......................

Jersey Joe Walcott

Think about it. He had a harsh going of it during his twenties struggling to make ends meet for his family. He finally gets his shot age 33 breaking the record for oldest man challenging for the title, he gets "robbed". He loses rematch and fights hard and eventually wins the championship at age 37 the oldest man ever to do it and with a beautiful punch. I think that would make a great movie if done well.

Comment

Bernard Hopkins, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Floyd Mayweather (I'd find that interesting lol) and Hasim Rahman (a one-hit-wonder, I know, but he was once the real life Stringer Bell lol).

Anyone who grew up tough and boxed to escape the ghetto would be good to watch, but that sounds like every other **** boxing movie ever made...

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        John Ruiz!! LOL!!! No, seriously maybe Larry Holmes, Roberto Duran, George Foreman, Julio Cesar Chavez sr. and Tommy Hearns. Mike Tyson would be great but I doubt anyone could play Mike but himself...
        There was a Tyson movie that originally aired on HBO in the '90s. He was played by Michael Jai White, whose in a lot of action movies, because he has trained in kickboxing in real life. He's probably best known for being in the Spawn movie, based on that comic. I wouldn't mind seeing an updated one though, or a better Marciano movie. The Tony Lo Bianco one was decent, didn't like the Favreau one all that much, he didn't look enough like Rocky or convincing enough in the boxing scenes. A Gatti movie would be great, I agree with that one. The guy was like a real life Rocky in the ring.

Comment

there was a movie about the relationship between schemling and louis. Max and Joe i think, but i dont remember. Good Movie though

I would watch a Ron Lyle movie

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Did you know I would reply to this or something?

But they've already made one on Sonny. It's called Phantom Punch and he's played by Ving Rhames.
            And it was terrible. Historically inaccurate (there was no person named "Cesar" in real life, in case you wondered). Thumbs down from this critic.

I think a Cleveland Williams biopic would be good. The shooting incident is still shrouded in mystery, and his comeback at heavyweight is truly remarkable... the guy was a freaking welterweight after losing the kidney.

I'd also like to see a movie about Rubin Carter that isn't a monumental web of lies, half-truths, and sap.
            Last edited by SBleeder; 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Schmelling and Tapia have great potential. There has to be a Gatti movie eventually. I remember seeing an ok Dempsey movie starring Treat Williams about 20-25 years ago.
              There was a Starz movie called Joe and Max about the two Louis-Schmeling fights and their lives during the time of those 2 fights. Might be worth checking out if you're a fan of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                George Chuvalo is another for a movie.
                I was going to post this...his life outside the ring had so much drama and tragedy that it would make an interesting movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post
                  What about Max Schmeling i think that movie could win oscars ... Hollocaust movies always do.

Other boxers that come to mind are...

Emile Griffith
                  Johnny tapia
                  Pacquiao
                  Arguello
                  Meldrick Taylor
                  Gatti
                  Dempsey

Many others ... if there is something i love about boxing its that it has so much history behind it.
                  There was talk in 2006 about Madonna producing and directing a movie about Emile Griffith...I wonder if it's still in the works or not.

Comment

Originally posted by I-M-E View Post
                    easyyy. Arturo Gatti....he was well known, a fan fav, had wars in the ring and had a sketchy life outside of the ring ..and he is dead now (R.I.P he is my hero)
                    ^^^^ This.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when they made "The Fighter" and it was about Mickey Ward. I always figured that Mark Wahlberg would have played and would have been a great Arturo Gatti.

Also, I always pictured Derek Luke for a Floyd Mayweather movie. Someone also mentioned Sugar Ray Leonard.... maybe Omar Epps? Although he already played in a boxing movie, "Against the Ropes", which was supposely loosely based on the life of Mike Dallas Jr. (and Jackie Kallen).

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      There was a Tyson movie that originally aired on HBO in the '90s. He was played by Michael Jai White, whose in a lot of action movies, because he has trained in kickboxing in real life. He's probably best known for being in the Spawn movie, based on that comic. I wouldn't mind seeing an updated one though, or a better Marciano movie. The Tony Lo Bianco one was decent, didn't like the Favreau one all that much, he didn't look enough like Rocky or convincing enough in the boxing scenes. A Gatti movie would be great, I agree with that one. The guy was like a real life Rocky in the ring.
                      Another Marciano movie on a grander scale would be cool. The Michael Jai White movie was OK but Mike is just so unique that I can't see any actor doing him any justice. I thought the Muhammad Ali movie "The Greatest," was a great approach where he just played himself. Will Smith did good but Ali himself did much better!

Comment

Working...
                      X