Book about Young Stribling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book about Young Stribling

I found a book on Amazon called Young Stirbling: The Champion Who Never Was

Has anyone read it, and if so, do you recommend it? Stirbling is a fighter that I don't know nearly enough about, but based on his resume, he's right up there with Langford as far as great fighters who never won a world championship. Of course, Langford is distinct because he never even got a shot at one, but Stirbling fought the absolute best from featherweight to heavyweight.

I believe that Stribling was stopped by Schmeling, and lost to Sharkey. Sharkey said that Stribling hit him a damaging blow to the heart, but failed to follow up. Sharkey said that, had the situation been reversed, he'd have killed Stribling. Corbett said that Stribling was the best at feinting that he had ever seen.

Comment

Haven't read it, but I'm definitely intrigued....may have to pick it up at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        I found a book on Amazon called Young Stirbling: The Champion Who Never Was

Has anyone read it, and if so, do you recommend it? Stirbling is a fighter that I don't know nearly enough about, but based on his resume, he's right up there with Langford as far as great fighters who never won a world championship. Of course, Langford is distinct because he never even got a shot at one, but Stirbling fought the absolute best from featherweight to heavyweight.
        It's not so much about fighting the best, it's far more about beating the best. Many fighters fought lots of greats.. and lost virtually all of them, classing them more as "opponents". In Stribling's case I know he was far more than just an "opponent". Not sure of how heavy and big he was off the top of my head but I know that when he beat Ambrose Palmer that Palmer looked pretty small next to Stribling, and Palmer was a very good Australian HW champion but pretty sure Palmer was really just a light heavy. I'm sure Strib beat some better men but Palmer was no pancake, he was a seriously good fighter. I rate Strib pretty high amongst non HW champs.

Comment

Working...
        X