Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? for the guys who lift weights here (punchdrunk, fraidycat, speedkillz)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for the guys who lift weights here (punchdrunk, fraidycat, speedkillz)

Do you think that Squatting 3x per week along with running 6x per week, and boxing 3x per week, will be too much? The program is the basic Rippetoe model which is:

WORKOUT A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

WORKOUT B
    Squat 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Power Clean/Rows 3x5

Done 3x per week alternating each workout. I am not willing to drop the roadwork because as you know it is essential to boxing and keeps the weight down.

Just looking for some more power in my punches. Thanks in advance.

personally i think thats all good if u got the work capacity. jus make sure to give ur body a rest when u need to (you'll know when!) other than that if u can handle the workload then by all means hit it up that program looks like it would make u MAD strong plus if ur doin roadwork 6 days a week (which is great by the way) u should become a machine in the near future. i like it. good luck!

Comment

I lift a lot of weights for rugby and during the season one thing i notice is that my legs can tire easily while training when i squat alot that day or the day before.Everybody's different so by all means give it a go and see how you feel after a week or 10 days.You should listen to your body at that stage.

Comment

if you are going heavy 3x a week on squats it is too much squats. you'll be very imjury prone.

Comment

If you have the genetics to be able to do that without feeling overtrained, then go for but as soon as you start feeling it take a rest otherwise that extra training will become harmful. I train my legs 2x a week along with my roadwork

Comment

3x per week is way too much....you will end up doing more damage than good....your muscles need at least 48 to 72 hrs to recover when training heavy...and on top of that you are running which is also taxing them...

I would run and limit heavy lifting to st most 2x per week...also a good supplement to help them recover faster is amino acids...i believe it to be one of the most important supplements in any athletes diet...along with protien and multi vitamins.

my leg routine consists of 900 reps 2x per week....light weight / body weight, high intensity low rest....i stay away from going too heavy for too long....every 6 weeks I change it up from light to medium to heavy....so that I am always developing fast twitch muscle fiber along with strength and stamina....I want to be well rounded!

Comment

You will definitely be overtraining. Don't risk future injury in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the input, fellas. I am going to think it through.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, been away at training camp... I agree totally with the people who said it's too much. With that kind of activity, even twice a week will be a stretch, unless you're a seasoned weightlifter turned boxer...

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron
                    It's a bad idea to stack those 3 major muscle group lifts into one work-out. Here is my work-out schedule that is much more efficient and effective.

Monday:

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Wed:

Legs

Friday:

Back, Biceps
                    You sure you're in the right forum? This is boxing, not bodybuilding....

Comment

Working...
                    X