Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: R. Mayweather Supports Floyd, No Issue With Dad Training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: R. Mayweather Supports Floyd, No Issue With Dad Training

Throughout any given year, you can find outspoken trainer Roger Mayweather inside of the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas on a constant basis doing what he loves best.

A former two-division champion in the junior lightweight and junior welterweight divisions in the 1980’s, the 51-year old Mayweather now seems to get great satisfaction in guiding the next generation of upcoming prospects.

Having walked away from the sport following a ten-round unanimous decision over journeyman Javier Francisco Mendez in Reno, Nevada in May of 1999, making the move to a full-time trainer was an easy transition for Roger.

“I was training kids when I was a kid,” Roger noted. “I trained little kids like when I was a little kid. It wasn’t no big thing to me. How to train fighters, it wasn’t no big thing.”

I then asked Roger if he could elaborate on how he goes about honing his pupils' skills.

“It’s how you learn,” Roger stated. “How you learn is what makes a fighter. The way the fighter learns is by what he does in repetition. How to catch punches, how to block punches. How to roll with punches, how to slip punches. That’s the key about boxing.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

Spoken like a true master/pupil of the game ..

All who don't agree, "you don't kno **** bout boxing!" LOL

Comment

the main discord with father and son was about the purse split. it remains to be seen if the two will truly work together, could just be a publicity stunt

Comment

I like what Roger had to say here. Good stuff.

Comment

I agree with Roger 100%, a fighter learns by what he does in repetition.

Most trainers don't focus on reps enough (and if they do they don't know the right things to "repeat." )

Comment

Roger strategy against southpaws is for Floyd to come forward against Corley Mitchell Judah Ortiz he was the aggressor I'll be interesting to what gameplan Floyd Sr comes up with for Guerrero
            Last edited by MrClutch85; 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I thought floyd went to train with his dad because of roger's health? now I'm reading roger is still in the gym training fighters...I don't get it...

Comment

“I was training kids when I was a kid,” Roger noted. “I trained little kids like when I was a little kid. It wasn’t no big thing to me. How to train fighters, it wasn’t no big thing.” - make sense

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
                  Roger strategy against southpaws is for Floyd to come forward against Corley Mitchell Judah Ortiz he was the aggressor I'll be interesting to what gameplan Floyd Sr comes up with for Guerrero
                  Good point. It'll be interesting to see how this works out. If they can get along well enough, it will be a great move because Floyd Sr will make him fight as a defensive counter-puncher, make him utilize the jab more, fighting off the back foot, ect. At Floyd's age, he needs to fight carefully and be sharp defensively.

Comment

Well at this point I would not think him switching trainers matters, but never know I guess. What Floyd has to do to win is just be himself. The Ghost is a good boxer, and has a concrete chin. He has heart and will and it will be tougher than people think. However, I think Ghost is a little sluggish and flat footed at 147, not as sharp and crisp as he was at lighter weights. I know his strategy will be to bully Floyd and pressure him like he did to Berto. Floyd is a whole different animal though. I could see Floyd losing a few rounds and it being competitive but I feel the bottom line is this, if the Ghost cant hurt Floyd, I don't think he can win. Berto basically fought the worst fight ever against Ghost, he got hurt early, never recovered and lingered on the ropes for 12 rounds and got pummeled. As I have said several times though, with jail, switching trainers, Floyd could be ripe for an upset, never know...maybe he got old overnight. I have faith in his abilities and adjustments though until I see otherwise. Personally I think Canelo has the best chance of beating Floyd to be honest but if the Canelo curse kicks in once again, we will never see it lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X