Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain why Sergio Martinez vs Andre Ward at 160 doesnt make sense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
    We have no proof that Ward can't make 160 lbs....he's never said he couldn't. Ward use to fight at 160 lbs...find me a quote from Ward where he said he can't make 160 lbs.
    "I would love to fight Martinez but I don't think it is possible because of the weight. Martinez's people say that he is a small middleweight and they are right. They say that if I go down to 160 then a fight could happen but I don't think that is possible."
    Andre Ward

Comment

at 160? make it....

but Ward Called Martinez out at 168

Comment

Ward can't make 160. K.

Comment

Ward beats him at any weight! Why people refer to Sergio as a "great" fighter is beyond me! He fought a WW who stopped him, then fought another WW who he stopped. Neither WW was a "great" fighter so how did Sergio become great? Then he fights the "greenest" kid in boxing and refusses to step in and stop him from round 7 thru 11 then HE gets dropped by a gassed out kid who doesn't know how to jab Give me a break this guy is no way no how a great fighter!!! Lets see him fight the number 1/2/3/4/5 contenders in his weight class! If he's the champ at 160 then lets see him defend it! Screw talking about 154 or 168, be a fighting defending champion!!
          Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
            It will create enough interest and hype to sell more than a Pavlik fight.

Sergio is a pound for pound elite.

Legacy wise Ward needs this to revive whatever is left of a tainted/suspect/arguably "well manipulated" career (i.e Ward fighting at home)

Not since the great Roberto Duran has it been achieved.

Hard work and a great belief in GOD wins fight -That's from Ward himself

If Sergio gets beat Ward's career/legacy will be underwhelming considering how his fans hype him up to be.
            Do you sniff glue?

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
              U really think Canelo would fight Martinez at 154? Im sure if Martinez thought that fight was realistic he would drop down to 154 and accept it in a second. I don't know why u think Martinez avoided Canelo fight? Thats ridiculous.
              I dont think Martinez is a dynamic fighter at 154. I know he was a late bloomer but hes spent the majority of his carreer at 154 and he was an average fighter. Talentwise not what he accomplished. Once he moved up he was able to seperate himself from the rest of the average fighters. Pavlik was halfway through his 5th shot on the way to the ring when they fought. PWill was a good win but theres nothing dynamic about him either. Lee, Mcklin, and Chavez Jr werent anything special. Theres nothing special about the guy hes fighting now. I think he looses his athletic advantage at 154 against guys like Trout, Canelo, and Floyd and goes back to looking average again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Ward beats him at any weight! Why people refer to Sergio as a "great" fighter is beyond me! He fought a WW who stopped him, then fought another WW who he stopped. Neither WW was a "great" fighter so how did Sergio become great? Then he fights the "greenest" kid in boxing and refusses to step in and stop him from round 7 thru 11 then HE gets dropped by a gassed out kid who doesn't know how to jab Give me a break this guy is no way no how a great fighter!!! Lets see him fight the number 1/2/3/4/5 contenders in his weight class! If he's the champ at 160 then lets see him defend it! Screw talking about 154 or 168, be a fighting defending champion!!
                Ray
                I think Ward is a better fighter as well, but are you talking about Margarito beating him?

That was like 10 years ago and Martinez has grown a lot as a fighter especially when you consider he only started when he was 20. Paul Williams was considered a top P4P fighter at the time. Sergio probably should have got the decision in the first fight and then he obliterated him.

Sergio did make a mistake against Chavez no doubt and he admitted it. He dominated him every other round though and Chavez out weighed him by 15+ pounds. That allowed Chavez to better absorb Sergio's shots and gives him good power against smaller guys. That is where weight and size make a difference. Chavez also had been steadily improving his competition and was definitely not the greenest kid in boxing. He also had a HOF trainer even if he didn't always listen to him. I'm not saying Chavez is by any means great, but he is a challenge for any average-sized MW given his sheer size. He was also widely ranked as the #2 MW or at least in the top 5.

Pavlik also outweighed him by 12 pounds and was considered a pretty good fighter in his own right. Dzinzuruk while he was not well-known was pretty good technically (was also a champion at 154 and undefeated) and Macklin was considered to be a top-10 MW. So is Murray.

Obviously, Sergio could step it up a bit, but it isn't as if he is fighting complete bums. He is 38 and looking for the big fights now since he does not have that much more time and was a late bloomer.

Sergio also is not your traditional fighter. He succeeds mostly because of his fantastic conditioning, solid power, and good athleticism. He is definitely not the technically great fighter Ward is.

Comment

Because Ward would be stupid to drop down to 160. Could he physically make it? maybe. Would it weaken him? Absolutley. Dawson was misguided enough to think it would work but we know how that turned out. Just becasue a fighter can make a weight, does not mean they should.
                  Last edited by Visceral; 12-22-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Ward offered a cach weight at 164 and the Martinez team say no. Martinez want to fight Mayweather who is so small, but no Ward and is not for the side is for the talent of Ward

Comment

Originally posted by nachorjj View Post
                      Ward offered a cach weight at 164 and the Martinez team say no. Martinez want to fight Mayweather who is so small, but no Ward and is not for the side is for the talent of Ward
                      Martinez' team thinks Sergio would lose to Ward and never want him to fight above 160. They are pretty clear about that.

Ward may already be the P4P best, is like 9 years younger than Sergio , and bigger, so I could see why they would want to avoid that fight.

It'd be nice if Martinez would challenge himself further, but I think he would lose as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X