Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas

What's your memory of this fight?
    Which circumstances in Mike's tumultuous life in 1990 were more significant and made him lose this fight?
    Interested to hear your memories and views on this one.

Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
    What's your memory of this fight?
    Which circumstances in Mike's tumultuous life in 1990 were more significant and made him lose this fight?
    Interested to hear your memories and views on this one.
    all of them. Mike didn't train as he should,coupled with the fact buster had just lost his mother and had a style that would've given Mike a good fight even if he were 100% and you have the perfect situation for a KO loss.

Comment

No amount of training could have done shyt.

Buster Douglas lost his mom... that emotional tear made him 3x as good as he really was.

Outside of Prime Lennox Lewis.. Douglas beat the shyt out of every heavyweight in history that night.

Douglas will beat Ali, Foreman, Frazier, K2, anyone that night.

Mike was just another victim.

Tokyo Douglas is the 2nd greatest h2h heavyweight of all times.

Comment

Sex, Drugs, and Rock N Roll.

Comment

I was a kid watching with some kids who lived in my complex along with my cousins who were a little older. All of us were like

Meanwhile my cousin who used to love Tyson was like

Comment

I remember him not being afraid of Mike from the first bell.....and Mike not bobbing and weaving like I'm used to....so yeah I think it was a combo of Mike underestimating and Buster being in the best fighting frame of mind in his life.

Comment

Comment

Great performance by Buster, but didnt the ref rob Tyson with the long count. I thought Tyson won.

Comment

For me it was a nightmare. I was about 18. I watched it at home with my mom and dad. I remember saying "come on, hit him" "he's not doing anything" "he's not fighting" "what's wrong with him?". I was pissed at Tyson for not fighting and by the 10th round I was saying "just knock him out" referring to Tyson. Yeah, I was all butt hurt my idol was getting beat.

Tyson had fired his long time Trainer Kevin Rooney and was slowly losing what had had made him the fighter he was. The reason why Tyson was so good was because he was hungry, he was mean, he was motivated to be the greatest HW ever and he had a trainer that was trained by Cus DeMato to train Tyson. Tyson was slowly changing before the Spinks fight and Don King was telling him he could do what he wanted and that he shouldn't trust his manager and trainers. After the Spinks fight Tyson was at the point where he wanted to do what he wanted to do and didn't want to take orders any more, so he fired his team and Don convinced him to hire new trainers and his friends as managers, because he could trust them. So now he has two of his childhood friends as co-managers. Guys that didn't know **** about the business, but Don promised to teach them how to manage. But, Don was secretly running the show and made Tyson believe he was running it. Tyson's new trainers felt they were lucky to be were they were and never yelled at him or anything. Rooney was the opposite. Tyson needed stern direction and wasn't getting it any more. In Tyson's first fight with his new team, he looked less than the prime Tyson we were used to. While training for Douglas, he broke training camp for 3 days and flew back to Los Angeles to attend a night club in China town. He was also knocked down by Greg Page in sparing and some said he hadn't looked as sharp as he usually was. Then Douglas' mom dying motivated Douglas to fight the fight of his life. All that spelled disaster for Mike. He was never the same fighter after he fired Rooney and that's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                    Great performance by Buster, but didnt the ref rob Tyson with the long count. I thought Tyson won.
                    His ten count was 14 seconds to Tyson and to Douglas. They tried to get the decision over turned, but after looking into the rules, its a ten count not a ten second rule.

Comment

Working...
                    X