Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Prince Naseem all-round the most consistently exciting fighter ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. He was an entertaining character, and had some exciting fights against Kelley and Sanchez, as well as a pretty good one with Medina. But more exciting a fighter than guys like Saad, Morales, Gatti, Chacon, etc..? Those guys were in numerous wars, two-way battles.

Hamed had some nice KOs, but not like say, Jackson, Louis, and of course, Tyson. Tyson was charismatic, a magnetic figure, and had a whole long reel of highlight KOs.

Comment

A short list of 10 more exciting fighters than Naz (two seconds worth of thought god knows I could list a ****load more)

Gatti, Morales (prime), MAB, Tyson, Tapia, Vargas, Jones (prime), Pacman (prime), Mosley (prime), Holyfield (prime).

As far as the "people tuned in just to see his ring walk!" nonsense goes, maybe where you live, maybe with WWF fans also, but I know myself and several other boxing fans have zero interest in ring walks. The 10 minutes it took that little fella awkwardly "dance" to the ring or fly in on a magic carpet were 10 minutes for a lot of us to go grab a beer and a sandwich.

Comment

He got many young kids in to watching boxing and some taking up the sport

Paulie Malignaggi said when he saw Prince Naz box, he wanted to be him...

Naz was a freak of nature, amazing reflexes, zero defense, granite chin, one punch power, amazing entrances, ****y, amusing and well spoken. The guy made boxing cool to the wider public, which is always a good thing. SO many of these "****y boxers" copies his image, he himself copied Ali's character.

Naz cud have been a great but after that one loss, and 80 million dollars later his heart was never into it, he's fought from a very young age and i guess he wanted to enjoy life.

I feel he should have fought Morales instead of Barrera

One of his biggest mistakes was to change his trainer, don't fix what isnt broke, they tried to change his style and it didnt work...Brenden Ingle was perfect for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttimes View Post
          He had some snoozers with McCollough, Soto, Barrera and Calvo. The most exciting for me was probably Gatti or Vargas as far as the big names go.
          True. After watching the full DVD sets of the careers of De La Hoya, Arguello, Gatti, Cotto, Vargas, Tszyu, Mayweather, JMM, Duran, Tyson, Hopkins, Hatton, Calzaghe, SRL, Freitas, Hagler, Hamed, Hearns, RJJ and many many many others without any doubt the most exciting fighter to watch fight for fight is Evander Holyfield IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
            A short list of 10 more exciting fighters than Naz (two seconds worth of thought god knows I could list a ****load more)

Gatti, Morales (prime), MAB, Tyson, Tapia, Vargas, Jones (prime), Pacman (prime), Mosley (prime), Holyfield (prime).

As far as the "people tuned in just to see his ring walk!" nonsense goes, maybe where you live, maybe with WWF fans also, but I know myself and several other boxing fans have zero interest in ring walks. The 10 minutes it took that little fella awkwardly "dance" to the ring or fly in on a magic carpet were 10 minutes for a lot of us to go grab a beer and a sandwich.

clearly missed the jist of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
              He was pure excitement.

I can understand if you hated him at the time as that was the aim of his game and what made him so much money but if you can't even enjoy the excitement Hamed brought to the sport even now, long after he's retired then that's your loss.

Whilst his resume may not contain a truck load of ATG's it certainly isn't as bad as it's made out to be on this forum. He has some decent names on there but admittedly no ATG's on his win list but some solid contenders.

The ring walks, the interviews, the freakish one punch KO power he had, the flip over the rope, all that together equalled a great deal of excitement, and if your someone like me who just wants to be entertained then you'd appreciate how good he was for the sport of Boxing.

How i wish someone like Hamed would come along now and add that spark into Boxing again.
              This, what a character!

Comment

I thought he was very boring, unfunny, and overrated.

Comment

Working...
                X