Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theory on how to beat a Cus D'Amato style fighter...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory on how to beat a Cus D'Amato style fighter...

I recall back in '88 during the Tyson-Holmes broadcast that commentator Barry Tompkins had said that the only way to beat a Peek-A-Boo D'Amato style fighter is to back him up. If my memory serves me well, if you look at both Patterson & Tyson in their losses they were forced back in some way. Should Cus perhaps have taught them to have a plan B if plan A was not going according to planned?

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    I recall back in '88 during the Tyson-Holmes broadcast that commentator Barry Tompkins had said that the only way to beat a Peek-A-Boo D'Amato style fighter is to back him up. If my memory serves me well, if you look at both Patterson & Tyson in their losses they were forced back in some way. Should Cus perhaps have taught them to have a plan B if plan A was not going according to planned?

Tyson was outboxed by Douglas, who used movement, a great jab, and excellent lead rights to punish Tyson as he tried to land.

Comment

i don't think so. Trying to stand toe to toe and back tyson up is touted by some these days as the way to beat him - u know the only way to beat a bully etc etc. Its nonsense. Prime Tyson loved when people tried that eg marvis frazier/berbick/tubbs - it was perfect for him. it was those that stayed on the outside and boxed behind the jab that gave him trouble eg Smith, Tucker, Douglas
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

it was perfect for him. it was those that stayed on the outside and boxed behind the jab that gave him trouble eg Smith, Tucker, Douglas

Bonecrusher Smith? He didn't frustrate Mike with any boxing skills, he just clutched him to death.

Comment

not everybody is sonny liston.

Comment

If Thompkins said that, then he's wrong. HBO had a responsibility to make Tyson seem invincible in those days.

In reality, any number of styles could beat a peekaboo fighter: A swarming guy like Armstrong, a stick and move fighter like B. Leonard, a slugger like Gomez, or a boxer-puncher like Robinson.

Comment

Bonecrusher Smith? He didn't frustrate Mike with any boxing skills, he just clutched him to death. Maybe his nickname was Boneclutcher.

Beating tyson and others torres, patterson was about getting your jab working and countering there shots.

Comment

Overpowering that style works if you can. Tyson would have been hard to beat because he wouldn't easily be overpowered. But the style seemed to work with agression and punching power.

Comment

In his loss to Douglas he was not backed up at all. Tyson brought the pressure from the opening bell until he was ultimately knocked out. Despite the enormous amount of punishment he took, he was still the one moving forward.

Those who have mentioned that trying to back him up would end up knocked out are correct. You can try to apply pressure and make Tyson fight on the backfoot but that would only play into his style, as we saw with Peter McNeely. Tyson was too good at dealing with guys who applied pressure to be beat by them.

It's hard to say how to beat Tyson in his prime because when he was at his best nobody ever did. When he was KO'd by Douglas he really wasn't a peek a boo type fighter he was just a head hunter who really didn't move his head at all.
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    In his loss to Douglas he was not backed up at all. Tyson brought the pressure from the opening bell until he was ultimately knocked out. Despite the enormous amount of punishment he took, he was still the one moving forward.
                    Apparently you missed round 9.

Those who have mentioned that trying to back him up would end up knocked out are correct. You can try to apply pressure and make Tyson fight on the backfoot but that would only play into his style, as we saw with Peter McNeely. Tyson was too good at dealing with guys who applied pressure to be beat by them.
                    Peter McNeeley isn't exactly Smokin' Joe, now is he? Is that really the best example you could come up with? Did Tyson even face another pressure fighter in his career?

It's hard to say how to beat Tyson in his prime because when he was at his best nobody ever did. When he was KO'd by Douglas he really wasn't a peek a boo type fighter he was just a head hunter who really didn't move his head at all.
                    He wasn't moving his head because of Douglas' excellent lateral movement, superb use of range, and most importantly, his willingness to actually throw combinations at Tyson. Douglas MADE Tyson look off his best.

Quick Tillis didn't do anything but jab and move, and he was robbed out of at least a draw by NY judges.
                    Last edited by SBleeder; 09-10-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X